Looking to buy a beginner/intermediate board - help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to buy a beginner/intermediate board - help

Hey! I'm thinking of getting a new board but in all honesty I have no idea how to choose, haha. If I do, I'll probably be sticking to the same board for quite some time. I usually just cruise but my friends wanna try out the park so I might end up going there too. I was also wondering if getting a stomp pad/studs is worth it? First board I rented had one and it was pretty useful, but my current board doesn't and my foot slides when I get off the lift.

5'2, 115lbs with tiny size 5.5-6.5 feet
My budget for the board is around $300-$400.
[e] female btw

Thanks! (:

Last edited by caiere; 12-30-2013 at 04:25 PM.
caiere is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
 
F1EA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
If you're willing to put some thought into it, check this out:
How To Buy A Snowboard - 5 Things You Need to Know

For more help, click the "free snowboard guide" link, he'll ask for your email and send you a bunch of useful stuff you may find helpful or opt out.

Based on your sizes, it seems you're either growing up or just tiny. So you'll be looking for stuff on the smaller range (you'll prob be lucky enough to find good prices for those sizes). If growing up (bulking up), then consider that and compromise on a more long term setup (ie bigger, to suit you more once you grow) if you want.

Basically, your preferred riding style, weight and boot size determine your board/setup...
F1EA is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
 
Riley212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Seattle
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm guessing you are a woman. If so go to this site and pick one that's about 145cm. Women's Snowboards | evo

Dude, suckin at somethin' is just the first step to bein' sorta good at somethin'
Riley212 is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
If you're willing to put some thought into it, check this out:
How To Buy A Snowboard - 5 Things You Need to Know

For more help, click the "free snowboard guide" link, he'll ask for your email and send you a bunch of useful stuff you may find helpful or opt out.

Based on your sizes, it seems you're either growing up or just tiny. So you'll be looking for stuff on the smaller range (you'll prob be lucky enough to find good prices for those sizes). If growing up (bulking up), then consider that and compromise on a more long term setup (ie bigger, to suit you more once you grow) if you want.

Basically, your preferred riding style, weight and boot size determine your board/setup...
Haha no, I'm just tiny. Thanks for the link! Gonna go check that out
caiere is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
 
F1EA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)

A couple of girl friends of mine have rocker/flat/rocker and they like it a lot for the same kind of riding as you mention.

So, in terms of profile... if you are not looking for an aggressive, poppy board, then rocker/flat/rocker is pretty do it all; very stable and the rocker tips help for park stuff, powder and not catching edges.

If you figure you want maybe more aggressive pop and edging, then rocker/camber/rocker is neat. Ride has a low rize rocker hybrid thing which is very mellow rocker/camber/rocker.
F1EA is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
I'm guessing you are a woman. If so go to this site and pick one that's about 145cm. Women's Snowboards | evo
Aw I live in Canada and the shipping costs add an extra $100 or so
wish I was in the US and was eligible for free shipping
caiere is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post

A couple of girl friends of mine have rocker/flat/rocker and they like it a lot for the same kind of riding as you mention.

So, in terms of profile... if you are not looking for an aggressive, poppy board, then rocker/flat/rocker is pretty do it all; very stable and the rocker tips help for park stuff, powder and not catching edges.

If you figure you want maybe more aggressive pop and edging, then rocker/camber/rocker is neat. Ride has a low rize rocker hybrid thing which is very mellow rocker/camber/rocker.
Aah rocker/flat/rocker sounds good for me

Also, would you by chance know of any places I could order from Canada? Or maybe just walk into a store and get one? I'm in Ottawa and I don't think there are that many shops here (or I just don't know where to find them..)
caiere is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ksup3erb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Google returns a number of hits
ksup3erb is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
 
atr3yu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nelson, BC
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiere View Post
Aah rocker/flat/rocker sounds good for me

Also, would you by chance know of any places I could order from Canada? Or maybe just walk into a store and get one? I'm in Ottawa and I don't think there are that many shops here (or I just don't know where to find them..)
Alternative113.com is a good online retailer in canada. No where near as much stuff as the usa online stores. They do ship for free though, at least most of the time.
atr3yu is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool, thanks guys!
I'm looking around on pacificboarder.com right now.
This would be so much easier if I was taller sigh
caiere is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome