Board too long? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
fargo

Default Board too long?

Hi,

I just bought a Ride DH 159 and after reading some posts online I''m worried that it's too long and thinking I should have got a 157 or a 155.

I've previously boarded for three weeks in total and I''m now doing a season. I'm 6 foot tall, 160lbs and shoe size 10. I'm pretty confident going down the piste and I now want to focus on learning tricks (mainly jumps and switch) and park riding. Is the board too long? Will it be difficult to learn on?

I went to two shops and they both recommended the 159. On the Ride website it recommends either a 157 or a 159 for my height and weight. I'm kicking myself I didn't look into the length more before I bought my board and can't afford to buy another one.

What do you think guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Exchange for the 155 if you can in the park. I'm 180 lbs, and ride a 157.5 in the park, and could easily go with a 155.

The 159 is OK if you are riding big mountains.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
fargo

I've already ridden it so I can't exchange it. As a beginner in the park will I really notice much difference with a few cms?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
tands05

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo View Post
I've already ridden it so I can't exchange it. As a beginner in the park will I really notice much difference with a few cms?
Yes...well if you have ridden one shorter before...Much easier to throw around a board 4 cm's shorter.

MY 100th POST...Time flies on here
Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
fargo

Maybe I should get a shorter board and ebay my current one. I'm gutted I didn't post on here before buying it. Will a 155 be just as good for riding the slopes and also what about powder? I'm still learning so want the board to perform well all round, but tricks and freestyle is definitely the way I want to go.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Keep the 159 for bigger slopes, you never know, you may put on a few pounds. I ride a 165 on the mountain, so 159 for you on mountain terrain is good.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
DiMe

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo View Post
Hi,

I just bought a Ride DH 159 and after reading some posts online I''m worried that it's too long and thinking I should have got a 157 or a 155.

I've previously boarded for three weeks in total and I''m now doing a season. I'm 6 foot tall, 160lbs and shoe size 10. I'm pretty confident going down the piste and I now want to focus on learning tricks (mainly jumps and switch) and park riding. Is the board too long? Will it be difficult to learn on?

I went to two shops and they both recommended the 159. On the Ride website it recommends either a 157 or a 159 for my height and weight. I'm kicking myself I didn't look into the length more before I bought my board and can't afford to buy another one.

What do you think guys?
Dude don't worry about it. If your just starting it really dosn't matter for freeriding or freestyle. The DH is a badass board I ride the 2006 155 model myself. Unless you already know how to handle jumps and rails board setup dosn't comes into play yet because you wont feel the difference in a few cm. As far as a first board for learning your good with the 159 DH just keep riding.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
sunny

I am glad that you have the same concern which I have. I am about 150 lbs, beginner and I went to nearby shop to buy ride DH 153 or Twin 151. However, the shop guy recommended me to buy 155 because I might go out of park and then I might need longer one for better stability. I agreed and I bought ride DH 155.

But like you, after reading some posts on here and there, I am also worried about the length, because people used to recommend 151 ~ 153 for my size.

What I know one thing is that the reason why I am worried is because I am a biginner. Here, I really don't know what to do. The shop guy might be right.

Last edited by sunny; 01-30-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The 159 is the right length for your height/weight/boot size. Sounds like it's your skill that's lacking, so in that case maybe the 157 would've been better for you.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMe View Post
Dude don't worry about it. If your just starting it really dosn't matter for freeriding or freestyle. The DH is a badass board I ride the 2006 155 model myself. Unless you already know how to handle jumps and rails board setup dosn't comes into play yet because you wont feel the difference in a few cm. As far as a first board for learning your good with the 159 DH just keep riding.
riding to big of a board in the park while trying to learn is awful...its the other way around, learn park on a shorter board and when you get better you can go longer. i like my park board ot be between 150-152 and i weight 165-170
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote