Need some advice on keeping warm - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need some advice on keeping warm

Hey,
I'll be going boarding at Winter Park next week where the summit temps seem to be around 10 degrees (F). Do you think I'll be warm enough with a UA coldgear base (top and bottom), a fleece midlayer on the top, snowpants, a burton jacket thats insulated with 60g of Thermacore, a UA hood, and a beanie? I have never been in temps this cold and its been ages since I've been in snow period so I 'm not sure. I'm a pretty average 5'9" build and dont have a huge cold tolerance so keep that in mind. Thanks
daniel5890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

If you don't have a huge tolerance for cold it's gonna depend on how active you stay. If you ride hard all day I think you'll be fine. If you have any concerns just pack an extra layer or two and stick them in a small pack to carry with you.

The only thing I would really suggest would be something to cover your ears. I like wearing a helmet myself (helps with goggle fit and they just feel good to me) and most of them have earflaps. Oh, and you'll want to wear some kind of thermals on your legs too.
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVM View Post
If you don't have a huge tolerance for cold it's gonna depend on how active you stay. If you ride hard all day I think you'll be fine. If you have any concerns just pack an extra layer or two and stick them in a small pack to carry with you.

The only thing I would really suggest would be something to cover your ears. I like wearing a helmet myself (helps with goggle fit and they just feel good to me) and most of them have earflaps. Oh, and you'll want to wear some kind of thermals on your legs too.
Ok thanks. So you think some poly thermals over the UA base layer on my legs would be good? For my ears, I plan to at least have a beanie covering them put probably a hood too .
Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

I have some cheapie snowboard pants a friend gave me (I don't have a lot of cash) with practically no insulation whatsoever. I wear some a UA (made of spandex mostly I think) base layer with some light thermals over it and am usually fine down to 20F with just moderate riding. I'm not good enough yet to just shred all day.

But yeah, if you don't like the cold you should have at least one layer in your pants in 10F weather.

In my experience a hood is useless on the mountain. I don't bother. It limits my vision, gets in my way and the wind just catches it and pulls it off anyway. Get earmuffs, or a helmet with earflaps, or something to go over your ears. If there is even a slight breeze you're going to really wish you had it (and there will be just from you moving downhill on your board). No matter how hard you ride your ears will freeze in that weather without adequate protection.

Since you don't like the cold, bring layers for your upper and lower body, just in case. You can always take a layer out, but if you get really cold and need more layers and don't have them you could be in for a horrible day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel5890 View Post
Ok thanks. So you think some poly thermals over the UA base layer on my legs would be good? For my ears, I plan to at least have a beanie covering them put probably a hood too .
Old 01-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

Oh, and whatever you do, don't wear cotton.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
In my experience a hood is useless on the mountain...the wind just catches it and pulls it off anyway.
Wow really? Even if they are the tight ninja mask style?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

I never tried those, but they sound better than a plain ole hood to me. Do they limit your vision?

I mean hell, if you like it, and it is comfortable and keeps your head warm (which is where you lose the majority of your body heat), I say rock it. Shit in 10F you may need a full face mask anyway if you don't like the cold or have some gnarly facial hair for insulation.

Quote:
Wow really? Even if they are the tight ninja mask style?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I never tried those, but they sound better than a plain ole hood to me. Do they limit your vision?

I mean hell, if you like it, and it is comfortable and keeps your head warm (which is where you lose the majority of your body heat), I say rock it. Shit in 10F you may need a full face mask anyway if you don't like the cold or have some gnarly facial hair for insulation.
haha no i usually keep my face pretty clean cut. No ive never tried one before but I can't imagine it limiting vision being so tight around the eyes. I mean, I'd imagine goggles limit vision than that..
Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

I have seen them. I say go for it. For me, my ears don't really suffer from low temperatures, only from wind chill. Just taking the wind off my ears is all I usually need to do.

Quote:
haha no i usually keep my face pretty clean cut. No ive never tried one before but I can't imagine it limiting vision being so tight around the eyes. I mean, I'd imagine goggles limit vision than that..
Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hoods always bothered me too, not sure what the UA Hood is, but i just wear a Seirus full balaclava and it works great. Have a regular beanie i throw on top if its really cold.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote