LTR Boards? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default LTR Boards?

I'm just getting back to the sport after many years away (first board was the original wood Burton with cleats). Anyway, took my 7 year old son for the first time recently, and he's hooked! He had a LTR rental, that seemed to work pretty well for him. I goofed and forgot to get the particulars from the rental folks before we left the mtn. I tried using the size charts and stuff, but am getting a bit frustrated. Any help in what size and make board I should be looking for? He's about 53 inches tall, and 60 lbs. Thank you!
irydslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Since your son is still going to grow more I would suggest if u have a sports authority where u live just go in have them size him up and rent the gear for the season. My neighbor does this for his daughters. Plus it's fairly cheap and the gear seems to be brand new ever year. It will be easier on your wallet. Just my two cents..
midnightcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh ya they are LTR. boards
midnightcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Interesting. I didn't even know Sports Authority offered this service? I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My 7-year-old son is similar size (54" tall, 72 lbs.). He rides a 108 cm board. Each manufacturer usually has their own size recommendations, primarily based on weight, but I'd say in general your son would probably do well on a board anywhere between 100-120 cm. The shorter end of the range is probably best for learning. I'm guessing by LTR board you're referring to the Burton LTR series? I don't think they sell them new to the public since it's their rental line, but you can find used ones online. The 108 my 7-year-old uses was a hand-me-down from his older brother, but I got a 95 cm board for my 6-year-old off craigslist for $40, with bindings and boots included, so that might be another option if you don't want to rent but want to keep it cheap. Just do some searching to get familiar with pricing so you don't get ripped off. This might be a better bet if you have younger kids as well.
herzogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just make sure that if you get an employee who starts measuring his height, you ignore them and get sized by someone else. Try to find weight guidelines and shoot for the middle of that range. Going too small is better than going too large.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Also it doesnt need to be a burton LTR, Capita and Arbor for example have the same tech in their youth boards. They are reverse camber (rocker) as well as having a bit of concave built in to help avoid catching edges just like the LTR boards.

I just got my 7 yr old a Capita Micro-scope 115 from the house for $150.
61ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cool. That is what I was looking for too, other options to the Burton LTR boards that might have some concave to them. Awesome feedback! Thanks for all your input!