Trouble with wide-board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Trouble with wide-board

I bought a k2 brigade wide in 2011, but just started to consistently get back to the mountain this season. I rode yesterday and was having a ton of trouble going from edge to edge. Since it was so difficult to move edge-to-edge I kept letting my board go completely flat for an extended period and catching my downhill edge and falling. It was a pretty miserable experience. To couple that problem, my bindings came lose on several occasions. Obviously, I've been off the mountain for some time but I don't think being rusty caused all these problems.

So my questions is, do you think the board could possibly be causing these problems? Do you think it is possible I can get away with a regular board at 6'2" 190lbs and size 12 boots? If not, do you think that there are any wide boards out there that are better?

Side notes:

I'm a beginner to intermediate snowboarder, in my opinion.
I typically don't hit the park at all.
I have had other boards in the past (before I grew) and I don't remember having any of these problems.

I appreciate you guys reading this and giving me any advice if you have any. I definitely have a limited knowledge when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks
whatigot989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check that your boots are centered to the board to ensure you have proper leverage on both heel and toe side. Maybe you are a bit out of practice and just need to get back into the groove of things. Give it a few days.

Have you bought any new gear since your last time out? It can take a few days to adjust to new boots, bindings, board.
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you probably need a wide. its probably you
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The brigade is supposedly a pretty catch free board, its a mix of rocker and flat tech. It's used a lot for rentals because it supposed to be easy to initiate turns on.

I would take the above advice and make sure your boots are centered because you shouldn't be having issues getting this board on edge even if you don't need a wide.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like you need new boots and binding combo. Stiff to medium stiff boots and quality bindings with good straps and ratchets. The rest is technique.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have the same stats as you, just five pounds heavier. And I ride a wide board. I went back and forth whether I needed a wide board or not before I bought one and after I bought one and rode a couple times.

But after going a few times this season I'm glad I got the wide because I was able to hit my edges just fine and transition with ease.

Give it some more time.
Zedekias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have k2 cinch large bindings and burton size 12 boots. I'm fairly sure the measurements are correct. I'm going to bring it to a local ski shop. Does all this seem pretty standard?
whatigot989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Stoked.

What stance width and angles do you ride? This can have a huge impact on the correct width for your specifics.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

Last edited by Wiredsport; 01-04-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Being rusty could lead to a couple issues. Without physically being able to watch you make a turn, I'll let you know what I've seen in the past 20+ years of teaching.

1. Equipment - you stated that your bindings came loose multiple times. So its time to start learning basic board maintenance. If its the same boots, and bindings that you've had when you felt "good" going edge to edge then you need to make sure all the straps are tight, angles are correct, and your boots have some life left in them. Ultimately its usually not equipment.

2. Rotational separation. IE your upper body is turned and your shoulders are not parallel to the board. This is #1 what I see for intermediate lessons / refresher lessons when people are having problems.

Your body's natural position is your chest facing the direction you are going... walking, sitting in your car, riding a motorcycle, EVERYTHING. So if you ride only a few times a year and then take a long break in between... this is super common. I mean test it, stand like you are on your board, turn at the waist and have your chest face the direction of travel and try and use your ankles to rock from your heels or toes. K Now just turn your head and keep your body in alignment with your board, IE waist and shoulders, just turn your head (that's what your neck is for) and do the same... 10 times easier right?

3. Lazy Stance - The longer people ride, the more they get lazy stance. Hell I still have to catch myself doing it. Simply standing over your rear foot and slouching into the back seat. The snowboard is turned from the front foot initiating flex to the edge and cutting into the snow, if you are standing on your back foot you have no weight to start the turn, the board will start to rotate (because it wants the weighted foot to be down hill) and then you catch an edge and blam...

Anyway, these are the 2 most common I've seen over the many years, they are nothing tragic, but they happen. Even some of the sickest riders have these tendencies in their riding, but if you watch them closely, they kind of "turn it off" right before they start a turn or set up for a trick of any kind.
BubblesUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned!

A little tip I don't usually see: even when "flatbasing", favoring an edge at all times with a little pressure, mindfully, will prevent edge catching and allow you to ride this way with more confidence. It takes a little extra effort in mind and body.

Sure wide boards transition slower edge to edge, but not nearly as slowly as your lack of ability, don't blame the deck. With size 12s you have all the leverage you need. 4 years ago I didn't have a board and rode a borrowed wide the whole season, I wear 9's.

Or just throw money at the problem, the industry needs it and doesnt care if you improve or not.

The difference in how a wide board performs is real and tangible, however over-thought by about 30000000% on this forum. Sure if you can get away with a normal deck you always should, but this is not your problem.

Last edited by snowklinger; 01-04-2014 at 09:44 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote