Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Newbie need a board help! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/115817-newbie-need-board-help.html)

usmcshred 01-01-2014 12:38 PM

Newbie need a board help!
 
Hey first off hope this is the right section i'm brand new to this forum.

Anyways my first day snowboarding in over 7 years was yesterday (i was never good anyways) and i was out there shredding for like 9 hours straight. Completely fell in love with it I just used a rental burton LTR.

Anyways Money is VERY tight and i need to buy a good beginner board.

I was shredding pretty hard ( in my opinion) on the LTR. Not sure of all the terminology I just began reading up on techniques and I did not have any formal lessons but I was pretty much able to cruise downhill pretty fast and not fall, I had good board control and had absolutely no issues traversing and linking heelside. I had no idea how to do toeside nor did I have a lesson but after researching I will learn it next time.


Anyways not to make a long post heres my stats

Male
5'10
164lbs
size 11 - 11.5 boot (not sure if the rental guy gave me a wide or not)

Any reccomendations on a board bindings and boots? I really am not looking to spend over $200, with $250 being my absolute limit.

Thanks!

edit: All I do is ride down the mountain at Mountain Creek Resort. Not sure if this is considered a park (I would assume not as there are not many rails or jumps or anything, just slopes)

Riley212 01-01-2014 01:10 PM

That kind of price limit is tough. I would go to a store and buy new boots- spend like 100-150 bucks on ones that fit right. Then go on Craigslist in your area and find a board and bindings together for 100-150. Try to find something like this on CL K2 DarkStar 157 Men's Snowboard w/Boots & Bindings

Try to get the newest board/bindings possible- anything in the last 5 years. probably a board in the 154-158cm range. Take your boots with you when you check out the board to make sure they fit in the bindings.

usmcshred 01-01-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley212 (Post 1389049)
That kind of price limit is tough. I would go to a store and buy new boots- spend like 100-150 bucks on ones that fit right. Then go on Craigslist in your area and find a board and bindings together for 100-150. Try to find something like this on CL K2 DarkStar 157 Men's Snowboard w/Boots & Bindings

Try to get the newest board/bindings possible- anything in the last 5 years. probably a board in the 154-158cm range. Take your boots with you when you check out the board to make sure they fit in the bindings.

Hey man thanks for the reply, I had no idea the bindings would make a difference I was just going to grab some cheap crap because thats what I assume the rental I had was anyways and it worked fine.

and yeah I know my budget is very tight, do you think I should just grab a used LTR? Money-wise i'm looking for an LTR or the next step up as I'm still learning

usmcshred 01-01-2014 02:01 PM

Do you think a 152 would be too small for me?

some dude on craigslist is selling ROME sds agent 152 with bindings for 150 and i can talk him down to 120 ish

F1EA 01-01-2014 02:34 PM

152 is too small. At your weight, something around 155cm would be better.

Most people recommend buying boots first, but with your budget i'd rather get a good last season or used board and bindings, then buy boots when you have the $. Rental boots are cheap to rent and you can try several and rent the ones you like better. Good boots are expensive, and cheap boots are crap.

If you want a begginer/forgiving setup, anything with rocker is forgiving. Full rocker is super begginer friendly but a nightmare on icy groomers. So maybe camber/rocker/camber or rocker/flat/rocker will be better for you.... search around and find more info or guides on buying gear.

ridinbend 01-01-2014 02:46 PM

Geartrade.com has a lot of used options at fair prices, there is just no option to return.

usmcshred 01-01-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1EA (Post 1389153)
152 is too small. At your weight, something around 155cm would be better.

Most people recommend buying boots first, but with your budget i'd rather get a good last season or used board and bindings, then buy boots when you have the $. Rental boots are cheap to rent and you can try several and rent the ones you like better. Good boots are expensive, and cheap boots are crap.

If you want a begginer/forgiving setup, anything with rocker is forgiving. Full rocker is super begginer friendly but a nightmare on icy groomers. So maybe camber/rocker/camber or rocker/flat/rocker will be better for you.... search around and find more info or guides on buying gear.

158cm Sims Wrath snowboard + bindings set

What do you think of this? 158 sims wrath w/ bindings. Contacted the seller he said everything is in good condition and barely used

ThisIsSnow 01-01-2014 03:55 PM

if you really want to save money and are looking for beginner boards, try getting a used rental (ie something like this). They'll look scratched up but still ride well and are dirt cheap.

spend most of your money on boots though. never get used boots unless you know what you're doing.

F1EA 01-01-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcshred (Post 1389289)
158cm Sims Wrath snowboard + bindings set

What do you think of this? 158 sims wrath w/ bindings. Contacted the seller he said everything is in good condition and barely used

Do a search on the board and see if it works for you and what you will mostly ride. Also, confirm the size of the bindings to see if they will fit your boot size.

usmcshred 01-01-2014 05:22 PM

Found no good reviews on the Sims Wrath. Not sure what to do


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2