When to buy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
HunGJaI

Question When to buy?

Hi Guys,

So I've been reading A LOT of different forums/sites about when to purchase your gear. This question is more if is it better to buy it like at a convention then buying it off season?

Cause I've been told at convention they also sell last years gear as well as the up coming years as well. But would it be at a cheaper price then purchasing it off season?

I live in Toronto and there is a Toronto, ski and snowboard show. That happens in October just before the season starts I'm just wondering has anyone been to any of these convention and are the prices better then retail off season? (Besides the point of paying for admission fee)

Thanks,
HunG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The shops bring their gear to the show, and sometimes sell it for less than their storefront price. Sometimes more. Sometimes the same.

The only difference is a tent is used instead of a building with 4 walls and a roof.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
HunGJaI

Well, then I guess it's off season for my gear...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you know i planned on buying my first setup this summer when i thought everything would be on sale. i got to lookin through some sites and found some smash deals so i went ahead and ordered it last week. its already at my house and im taking it out this saturday. i guess deals are always there to be had but i did spend a lot of time lookin through sites.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
put1up

check out the-house.com, i buy most of my shit from them since i only have 1 local shop which has no competition except Dick's...
Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was going to wait as well but think I got a decent deal on what I bought. Rome flag 369$ 26% off and ride spi bindings 186$ if I waited a few months I guess I would save what maybe 100 bucks.. oh well.. Ill have my stuff tomorrow
paul07ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
HunGJaI

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul07ss View Post
I was going to wait as well but think I got a decent deal on what I bought. Rome flag 369$ 26% off and ride spi bindings 186$ if I waited a few months I guess I would save what maybe 100 bucks.. oh well.. Ill have my stuff tomorrow
Nice Nice,

Well, I'm still new...but loving it, So I'll guess I'll rent a couple of more times to finish off the season then spend it on brand new ones off season
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
rayray780

end of season sales (March/April) or warehouse inventory sales just before beginning of season (August/Sept) are usually when the best deals are found. also, keep a look out for sample sales. some dealers sell the samples that vendors send them. usually at least 50% off MSRP. these usually take place in some kind of hotel convention hall or temporary storefront.

just before and after Christmas you can find deals on used gear. people need money to buy gifts, pay off credit cards, or they got new stuff at Christmas and don't need their old gear anymore.

-rayray
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There's always deals to be had, even during the season. If you're looking for gear, first figure out what you're willing to spend and then what gear you can afford - don't skimp on boots though!! Then hit up all the online retailers and see what they have. There are a few online retailers in canada which have some decent prices now.

You might even want to check out Kijijii (sp?) or Craig's list. I recently sold my 8/10 Ride board and bindings for a steal on Kijijii.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote