2014 - Burton Custom or Antler ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2014 - Burton Custom or Antler ?

Funny, I couldn't decide so I waited and now my main decisions are on sale:
- Burton Antler Flying V 151,5. $300.
- Burton Custom Flying V 152. $250.

Been looking for a new All Mountain freestyle deck. Next weekend me and my friends are going to biggest nearby resort (Trysil in Norway). Usually this means plenty of groomers and hopefully a lot of off piste riding (perhaps even some fresh powder. There will be plenty of carving (since most of my buddies are skiers - but we are all looking for powder), but I like to jump from small obstacles in the terrain, butters, switch and other stuff that makes the run more fun. If we go to the park it's mainly jumps and not the biggest ones.

My stats are 5'7" and 150lbs (170 cm, 70 kg). Pretty small feet: 7.5 (US), 40 (EUR).
(This board will be a complement to my play-around-at-home-board: Burton Deja vu (a really soft and fun board). With this board and my snowboard buddies we play mostly in the park and where natural jumps appear.)

Since I am not on the heavy weight side I am bit concerned if these boards at 151-152cm are to stiff for me?

If one compares Custom and Antler:
- Which one feels softer? I have read reviews that contradicts on flex rating.
- Which one has better edge hold? On hardpack snow.
- Which one is easier to turn?

Another data is that next year me and my ski-friends are goind to Japan for 10 days of pure powder - we hope. Is the custom/antler good enought to have fun in deep powder? Which will perform best in powder - if both are set back equally.

Last edited by SGoldwin; 01-02-2014 at 08:37 AM.
SGoldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Based on demos I did on 2013 boards.

The most logical complement would be custom camber, giving you a board for hard pack and ice.

I thought Antler was softer than the custom.

If you're expecting lots if deep powder Flying V is of course better than custom but there are many better choices on the burton line. Sherlock is powder oriented, and then there are tapered boards like fish and barracuda.

All that said I think the antler at $300 is a great price, I'd jump on that.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Based on demos I did on 2013 boards.

The most logical complement would be custom camber, giving you a board for hard pack and ice.

I thought Antler was softer than the custom.

If you're expecting lots if deep powder Flying V is of course better than custom but there are many better choices on the burton line. Sherlock is powder oriented, and then there are tapered boards like fish and barracuda.

All that said I think the antler at $300 is a great price, I'd jump on that.
The question was for performing on hard pack/ice, but for most days I will not ride in hard pack/icy conditions - no camber board.

The question regarding powder is that this will be my main all mountain board for several years ahead. 10-15 days/year will be in good condition and possible a few days with powder, except for next year where most days will be powder runs. Am I a bit naive to think that this board will be good/fun in both conditions?

Regarding my questions which of the two boards will be easier to initiate a turn?
The Antler comes with 60* carbon highlights and the Custom with 45*. How does this effect riding?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Same store has sale on bindings.
2014 Burton Cartel EST with hinge-tech for $120. Sound like a bargain.

What about the hinge-tech? A gimmick or does it really help/increase pop?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGoldwin View Post
The question was for performing on hard pack/ice, but for most days I will not ride in hard pack/icy conditions - no camber board.

The question regarding powder is that this will be my main all mountain board for several years ahead. 10-15 days/year will be in good condition and possible a few days with powder, except for next year where most days will be powder runs. Am I a bit naive to think that this board will be good/fun in both conditions?

Regarding my questions which of the two boards will be easier to initiate a turn?
The Antler comes with 60* carbon highlights and the Custom with 45*. How does this effect riding?
I have a burton mystery as well as Sherlock. It's like a custom or antler in that it's Flying V but not specifically powder oriented and it's lots of fun in a foot of fresh snow. You'll have fun with those boards in some fresh snow but on your japan trip if you are gong for mega deep stuff a powder stick is what you want.

Lots of Heli and cat companies are emphatic that you should bring a tapered board, I read one one website that some people go from having a bad day to a great day just by switching boards.

I suggest you buy the long term board for your local conditions then get a fish or similar used for your trip then sell it after. This was the conclusion of another poster who was in Australia making a similar decision about a japan trip.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
I have a burton mystery as well as Sherlock. It's like a custom or antler in that it's Flying V but not specifically powder oriented and it's lots of fun in a foot of fresh snow. You'll have fun with those boards in some fresh snow but on your japan trip if you are gong for mega deep stuff a powder stick is what you want.

Lots of Heli and cat companies are emphatic that you should bring a tapered board, I read one one website that some people go from having a bad day to a great day just by switching boards.

I suggest you buy the long term board for your local conditions then get a fish or similar used for your trip then sell it after. This was the conclusion of another poster who was in Australia making a similar decision about a japan trip.
Thanks for your input and that conclude what I was afraid of: more money to spend. But deep down I know it's was going to be a special board for powder/Japan. But that is for next year (or perhaps on a really god sale at the end of this season) and now fun board for right locations.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz

Purely based on demoing 2013 version both boards for couple hours I'd go with the antler. Custom Flying V just felt awkward, I'd go with the process or the camber version. Antler felt light on the feet and is more fun.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Where are you finding these deals man! Do they have a website?
gixxerdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerdk View Post
Where are you finding these deals man! Do they have a website?
Sure, but this is in Sweden so transportation cost can be an issue. Xtra Xtra Låga priser på sport och vildmarksutrustning | XXL.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouscat View Post
Purely based on demoing 2013 version both boards for couple hours I'd go with the antler. Custom Flying V just felt awkward, I'd go with the process or the camber version. Antler felt light on the feet and is more fun.
Which one of antler/custom has the softer flex?