What's an easy board to start riding? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What's an easy board to start riding?

I'm sure this is a tired subject, but i have searched the forum and didn't find much information. But what would be an easy board to start out on? i'm looking to buy a new snowboard, i bought a salomon pulse, and it is way too flat, felt like riding on a 2 x 4, can anyone suggest anything that is easy to ride and carve, or point me to a thread that covers this subject. thank you !
dehart856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

usually rocker and flat boards are good to start on.
camber board needs a bit of discipline or you catch edges.
speedjason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd stay away from camber boards, they have a more difficult learning curve. Not saying you can't learn one, all of us old timers did, but the newer profiles really help with the frustration levels. Something rockered or flat with rockered tips would be the path of least resistance. In order to narrow the field a budget would be helpful as well as your shoe size and weight.
sclogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the pulse should be a pretty easy board to ride. flat camber boards tend to not have a bunch of pop, but you don't really need that when you are just starting. And its true that boards with rocker or all rocker are easiest to learn on generally, most of us who started before 2008 learned on camber boards no problem. What issues are you having, other than "it rides like a 2x4"
Old 01-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

the arbor formula is a pretty forgiving board. I really enjoy it
larrytbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice, i'm not really on a budget if the board is worth buying, i'v already jumped the gun and bought what feels like the wrong one, so i just don't want to do that again and want to take my time finding the right one. i'm 5'11 and 155 lbs, boot size is 10.5.. and Riley yea the pulse was very easy to ride, just very boring, going down the mountain and stopping was fine, but i bought it in a 156, when i would go to carve around, i felt like it was planted down too much, it just never really felt like it want to move.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehart856 View Post
Thank you for the advice, i'm not really on a budget if the board is worth buying, i'v already jumped the gun and bought what feels like the wrong one, so i just don't want to do that again and want to take my time finding the right one. i'm 5'11 and 155 lbs, boot size is 10.5.. and Riley yea the pulse was very easy to ride, just very boring, going down the mountain and stopping was fine, but i bought it in a 156, when i would go to carve around, i felt like it was planted down too much, it just never really felt like it want to move.
carry some speed maybe so it moves?
speedjason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thats cool. boring boards are boring. i recommend something that has some camber to it, thats what really gives a board that lively feel i think. The rocker camber combo boards are much easier to ride than straight up camber.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks Riley i appreciate the advice, i picked up a GNU carbon credit after reading around a bit, seems to be exactly what you're saying, a combination of rocker and camber. Heading to the mountain this week, hyped to try it out !
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Great board

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehart856 View Post
thanks Riley i appreciate the advice, i picked up a GNU carbon credit after reading around a bit, seems to be exactly what you're saying, a combination of rocker and camber. Heading to the mountain this week, hyped to try it out !
The GNU carbon credit is a great choice, well done enjoy.
SnowDogWax is online now   Reply With Quote