How flex in boards relate to flex in bindings etc? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How flex in boards relate to flex in bindings etc?

I'm trying to understand why softer/more flexible boards are better for beginners.

Board flex makes it easier to turn, needing less effort to make the board do what you want, but how do flexible bindings play into that equation? Wouldn't stiff bindings and a flexible board work better?

The soft boot part I get, you want to be able to bend a boot in order to flex a snowboard, you don't want to be putting all you effort into moving in a boot, but the binding part confuses me.

(I'm a beginner boarder. Only been out 5-6 times. Just learned to link heel and toe edge turns comfortably last week.)
Wes_Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Stiff boots and bindings send every tiny movement you make into the board, which causes a reaction when riding on snow. Softer Boots and bindings act as a buffer for tiny movements, allowing more leeway for mistakes. Also i have found softer bindings to be more comfortable.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
Stiff boots and bindings send every tiny movement you make into the board, which causes a reaction when riding on snow. Softer Boots and bindings act as a buffer for tiny movements, allowing more leeway for mistakes. Also i have found softer bindings to be more comfortable.
So that mans stiffer boots and bindings require less input to turn, if you can control those inputs.

So you could find a balance between a medium flex board and soft binding/boots and get the same result as a soft board and medium flex bindings/boots...or some combination of the 3?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_Dark View Post
So that mans stiffer boots and bindings require less input to turn, if you can control those inputs.

So you could find a balance between a medium flex board and soft binding/boots and get the same result as a soft board and medium flex bindings/boots...or some combination of the 3?
Not exactly.

Soft boards will not be as steady at speed or on choppy snow. With a stiffer board, you can plow through crust and not worry as much about falling. Also hardpack is easier to handle on a stiff/medium board because they can hold an edge better.

Soft bindings in choppy conditions don't make much of a difference in my experience. They can be slower to turn, though, as the bindings flex instead of transferring force.

I'd prefer a medium board and soft bindings over a soft board and medium bindings for nearly all conditions outside the park.
scrotumphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

softer bindings give you he same output as stiff ones to a point; it just doesn't happen as fast, hence the term "responsiveness". The "point" is during high output like when carving hard or riding out huge landings.

No the combos don't work that way, in my experience the board and boots have the greatest effect on ride and bindings are fairly minimal. So the affect of going from a medium flex to soft board is much larger than going from medium to soft bindings.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok. I understand how it works now.

2nd question, what board would be good to pick up? I'm 6'1 190lbs, I'm starting to get comfortable carving heel to toe, I'm learning to ride switch at the same time. Is there a libtech board or NS board that would be good for me?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lib tech trs or ns proto probably. theres a ton of other boards that are equal or better and cheaper from other companies though
Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd love suggestions if you guys have any. It would have to be a wide board because I'm a size 12 boot.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Check out this thread. Any of those boards would work for ya. http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-proto-vs.html. And i would add the salomon villain to that list
Old 01-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Would a mid flex boot be ok or stick with a soft flex? Is a burton ruler too stiff for a beginner? Or a nike ZF1?