Is this safe? ...lost a highback screw - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this safe? ...lost a highback screw

Heya sbf,

Was up at a local mountain last Saturday, skipped my pre-trip check, which was especially important this time since I hadn't been up the 3 weeks prior, and ended up losing a binding screw/ladder thing that holds the highback to heelcup for the left side my back foot (I ride goofy so that would make it my left binding). I noticed this with like an hour left in my day, so what I ended up doing was getting the highback in the right position and strapping in real tight and never unstrapping my back foot for the rest of the day (I ended up riding lifts strapped in switch). It affects my riding for sure; I seem to have to work harder on heelside turns, but it's better than not riding at all.

The place I bought from said they can't do anything, so I just sent an email to K2, but I really want to go up either this weekend. Would it be unwise/unsafe for me to continue riding the way I did? Will this cause damage to the highback or heelcup in anyway? I was also thinking of shoving somthing small in the hole then duct taping it for the time being...

Thanks a bunchies

I'll have pics up in a jiffy...

EDIT: pics

Left binding (screwless):

Right binding (what it's supposed to look like):

Last edited by markee; 01-14-2009 at 09:17 PM.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

does the highback move around a lot, since it only has 1 screw holding it in place?
chowman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just lost the same bolt and plastic piece on my k2 bindings as well. I noticed it when I got home from riding this sunday, so I'm at a loss for what happened since I think I would have noticed it while strapping in (it was on my front, so wasn't getting in/out all the time). There is a form on k2's website that I filled out and got an e-mail that there sending me the parts for it, so hopefully they'll get her soon since we've actually got good riding temps for once on the east coast.
ks5z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
lonewolf99701

I lost the same bolt on a pair of Gnu bindings last year (by the way gnu bindings suck) anyways I just went to a local hardware store and got the bolt i needed it was just exposed with no little piece of plastic to cover it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

@chowman: not too much if I strap in reall tight like I said, but then I get pressure points in my foot (tolerable, but I'd rather do without) and heelside turns feel kinda sketch...

@lonewolf: I need the plastic piece as the grooves have to fit for the forward lean to be at the right angle.

@ks5z: Which form did you use? The part request form or the "contact us" form? I thought about doing the Part Request, but I didn't really know how to describe the part. How did you describe it?
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

I probably wouldn't ride like that, but that's just me.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It will move around and will suck. For a temporary fix, go to the hardware store and find something that will work. If you can't find what you need there, go ahead and turn in your man card at the door on your way out.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
It will move around and will suck. For a temporary fix, go to the hardware store and find something that will work. If you can't find what you need there, go ahead and turn in your man card at the door on your way out.
I'll probably do this, so I can get out and ride this weekend, although we all know that the man's temporary fix is of course the permanent one...

markee,

I filled out the parts request form and just described it as best as I could, but since I don't have them yet, I'm not sure what they will actually send me.
ks5z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

yea, id go ahead and find a temporary fix until you sort it out with k2
chowman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

For what it's worth, I broke my K2 Cinch last year (my fault, not K2's) and they sent out a replacement mega-fast. Try calling them on the phone, worked for me, and it was the height of the season. Great customer service.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote