GNU beast or K2 turbo dream? or ???? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GNU beast or K2 turbo dream? or ????

Competent rider. I want something thats a beauty on powder, but lets me carve and hold well going FASSST on groomers. SO many choices out there, no where to demo around here (MI).

I would love to demo a camber rocker hybrid vs a flat board, but I cannot. Coming off of an almost ten year old GNU traditional cambered board.

Thanks for your time
schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Turbo Dream is sexy as hell. Tell ya what, you should buy one and then I'll trade you my Capita Charlie Slasher for it. 164 please!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

If you been riding cambered for 10 years, getting a hybrid like a c2btx or c3btx might be a novelty...perhaps a billygoat or rider's choice, it feel a bit more agile...but you will eventually miss the pop and locked in bomber feel...if your board is in ok condition, don't get rid of it...start a quiver. I still love the old camber on groomer days.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks, what do you mean by it being a novelty?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler View Post
Meaning that some guys who have been riding camber are unhappy with some of the alternate camber profiles when they switch. But, in all honesty, for every one like that, there's probably 10 others who feel the opposite. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler View Post
novelty...perhaps a bad choice of words. Love the c2btx and camber...rode most of last year on c2btx billygoat but also love the stability and pop of camber....just different and for different terrain and snow conditions...just different tools for different jobs. Love camber for bombing groomers and c2btx for off piste natural terrain and for pow from 6"-16"...and Charlie slasher...rocker nose, flat under bindings and cam tail...for deeper days.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

how does the billy goat feel on groomers? does it hold an edge well at speed?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

Its fine on groomers...but a bit of a waste. BG is made for off piste, natural terrain with abit of pow....like this. Its torsionally soft, yet is stiff lengthwise between the outside of the bindings and the nose/tail... so it likes to keep the nose in the fall line and doesn't like to get too transverse...the goat loves to "flow" the fall line. On groomers, it won't do a hockey stop and will wash out...but as long at the nose is within 45 degrees of the fall line, it rips, loves to turn and eat up any bumps and banks...but to stop you have to swish back and forth to bleed off some speed before bringing it sideways.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-03-2014 at 02:44 AM.
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks a lot for your advice, i really appreciate it.

I wish i got to ride off piste more. I basically have no qualms with my camber board other than it sux in powder. Not a ton of powder days here in the midwest, but there's enough, I also want a board to take out west.

Have any experience with K2 flatline boards? I figured the billy goat would be better for carving groomers than a K2 flat board because the BG seems like it is camber dominant.

maybe something like the beast would be best for me, it is camber dominant just with a super floaty nose for pow. but it seems counter intuitive to buy a board made for blasting new snow, with the intention of blasting groomers AND pow.

Last edited by schuyler; 01-03-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm also considering the current 2013/14 GNU danny kass model..

any opinions? anybody??