Need Advice on New Gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Advice on New Gear

new member to the site and have no idea where to start my gear research...

Background: 5-10 170; been snowboarding for over 15 years and currently ride a Rossingnol Levitation with Burton Custom bindings and Nideker Peak boots (all 3 very old - haven't purchased new since I bought the board in 2001-2002 ish)

I consider my self an advanced rider for sure - no freestyle, but big, fast, all mountain riding - the faster the better. I usually go out west 2x / year for a week each but other than that I'm mainly on the east coast riding mountains in southern VT.

I haven't tried to look for new boards but want all new gear for this season ASAP.

Like mentioned above I love the speed of the Levitation - what would you recommend for new gear, dont want to break the bank here either lol - maybe 700-800 for all the gear....

Fire Away
BobbyGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Capita NAS is probably one of the cheapest (retail price) haul ass boards out there, it comes with a lot of high end features for not a lot of money.

If you don't mind buying off the internet, deals on last years high end models are still out there. K2 Slayblade Snowboard 2013 | evo outlet that board in size 158 would be pretty good for you. With these bindings Union Atlas Snowboard Bindings 2013 | evo outlet.

Boots; you shouldn't skimp on or buy on the internet. go to a shop and find ones that fit you right. burton, k2, ride, 32, dc, nike, nitro, salomon, vans all make good boots, spend at least $200 (retail) on boots.

Last edited by Riley212; 01-03-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response - I agree with the boots, those will be purchased at my local shop.

There are so many boards out there these days and the tech has evolved so much since 2001/02 when I bought the Rossi - turns out that was the perfect board for the type of riding I like to do - big and fast!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm at work and have nothing better to do than surf the internet.

But seriously the slayblade is a steal and pretty much what you are looking for.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah the reviews and product details say it best: "The K2 Slayblade Snowboard remains the ride of choice for aggressive riders wanting a stiffer board for high speed strength and power"
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Although knocked for being the bully on the block, your style of riding screams Custom X. All mountain camber is hard to beat for speed and carving. This board forces you to fix any flaws in your technique, rides fast and hard.

Last edited by sclogger; 01-03-2014 at 09:31 AM.
sclogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

The Burton looks good and has solid reviews - but the price tag is a bit much for me - the K2 from last year can be picked up for $350 - I cant find any Custom X for less than mid 500's....
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah it will eat a bit of your budget if you buy new, can be had cheaper on the secondary market.

Burton - Burton Custom X Snowboard (156) w/Burton Bindings

Not a bad combo for 200ish if you don't mind a bit of wear and tear. That years custom bindings were super stiff. Still have a pair in the closet and after comparing then to some of the more recent offerings, Rome 390 Bosses, Missions etc. those highbacks were rock solid. Weak point was the toe strap rachets, engaged the teeth at an angle and wore the straps out fast, replacements can be had from burton for $5 or so, plan on replacing em if you go that route.

Last edited by sclogger; 01-03-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah I never really thought about the used market...that's not a bad price, I think I need more like a 159-161 ish tho - either way that's a good option
Old 01-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

My weight fluctuates between 160-180 and found that 156 is a great length. And that Custom X has no problems holding an edge due to it's concrete stiffness. Unless your surfing pow often (which the X does not handle well) imo 159-161 would be a bit big but then again it comes down to rider preference.