Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Hi-backs (foward lean?) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11633-hi-backs-foward-lean.html)

maxpayne 01-15-2009 02:42 AM

Hi-backs (foward lean?)

ok so my first binding has adjustable hi backs and according to what i have read here ont he forums it allows you to have a forward lean if adjusted... what i dont understand is what is the use of forward learn or not forward lean? how would i know how to adjust my hi-back for my riding ? unless this is all just a comfort/personal preference issue...

thanks in advance

jmacphee9 01-15-2009 02:46 AM

well it is a tad bit of performance or personal preference...i prefer a lot of lean because i tend to get straight legged and it sucks for jumping. it sounds like your new so you probably want to crank that forward lean because it puts you into a better stance with your knees bent..

maxpayne 01-15-2009 02:50 AM

well you said something about performance how does it affect performace exactly ? lol i'm not a new snowboarder more of a itermediate to advance boarder its jsut that i rented all my life and this is the first snowboard i actually owned.... so previous i never had to worry about any of this extra stuff.... lol thats y i have to start and learn all this stuff about waxing... angles..... hi backs..... and etc... lol

jmacphee9 01-15-2009 02:54 AM

ok lol, i will be honest your still a beginner, just a beginner that can ride lol..start playing around with your angles and your highbacks and see what you like. mainly the highbacks get you to bend your knees more and offer more heelside turning when they are up more.

maxpayne 01-15-2009 03:01 AM

ic ok thx for the reply yes i guess i am still a beginner to the hardware stuff.... lol so i guess there is not wrong way to go with the high backs ? no way in hell i can screw something up with a "wrong hi-back" lean ?

jmacphee9 01-15-2009 03:05 AM

not possible lol, it should be a quick one minute fix though if you dont like it..try it like halfway and see if you like it, then adjust from there. for binding angles you can start at like a +15 -6 is pretty typical, i ride +18-9 usually but thats all personal..

jimmerjammermrk 01-15-2009 03:15 AM

I'd say a forward stance is more common than a duck stance. Try +15/+6 or +18/+6.

maxpayne 01-15-2009 03:19 AM

any reason for forward stance rather than duck stance ?

jeri534 01-15-2009 03:25 AM

Uhh duck stance is definitely more common than a forward stance, forward stance is usually for alpine carving/freeride...

I first started on a forward stance and recently went to a slight duck stance and it seemed waayyy easier after the change...

jimmerjammermrk 01-15-2009 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeri534 (Post 111106)
Uhh duck stance is definitely more common than a forward stance, forward stance is usually for alpine carving/freeride...

No, an alpine stance is used for alpine riding.

Alpine stance =/= forward stance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeri534 (Post 111106)
I first started on a forward stance and recently went to a slight duck stance and it seemed waayyy easier after the change...

It may be easier for you, but that doesn't make it more common. It's really a matter of personal preference, and the OP should try both stances. IMO, however, a new snowboarder should be started with a forward stance.

OP, if you try duck stance, be careful not to try to point your back knee forward. Doing so can result in injury. Instead, keep your knees over your feet.