Hi-backs (foward lean?) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
maxpayne

Default Hi-backs (foward lean?)

ok so my first binding has adjustable hi backs and according to what i have read here ont he forums it allows you to have a forward lean if adjusted... what i dont understand is what is the use of forward learn or not forward lean? how would i know how to adjust my hi-back for my riding ? unless this is all just a comfort/personal preference issue...

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

well it is a tad bit of performance or personal preference...i prefer a lot of lean because i tend to get straight legged and it sucks for jumping. it sounds like your new so you probably want to crank that forward lean because it puts you into a better stance with your knees bent..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
maxpayne

well you said something about performance how does it affect performace exactly ? lol i'm not a new snowboarder more of a itermediate to advance boarder its jsut that i rented all my life and this is the first snowboard i actually owned.... so previous i never had to worry about any of this extra stuff.... lol thats y i have to start and learn all this stuff about waxing... angles..... hi backs..... and etc... lol
Old 01-15-2009, 02:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ok lol, i will be honest your still a beginner, just a beginner that can ride lol..start playing around with your angles and your highbacks and see what you like. mainly the highbacks get you to bend your knees more and offer more heelside turning when they are up more.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
maxpayne

ic ok thx for the reply yes i guess i am still a beginner to the hardware stuff.... lol so i guess there is not wrong way to go with the high backs ? no way in hell i can screw something up with a "wrong hi-back" lean ?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

not possible lol, it should be a quick one minute fix though if you dont like it..try it like halfway and see if you like it, then adjust from there. for binding angles you can start at like a +15 -6 is pretty typical, i ride +18-9 usually but thats all personal..
Old 01-15-2009, 03:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

I'd say a forward stance is more common than a duck stance. Try +15/+6 or +18/+6.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
maxpayne

any reason for forward stance rather than duck stance ?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Uhh duck stance is definitely more common than a forward stance, forward stance is usually for alpine carving/freeride...

I first started on a forward stance and recently went to a slight duck stance and it seemed waayyy easier after the change...
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
Uhh duck stance is definitely more common than a forward stance, forward stance is usually for alpine carving/freeride...
No, an alpine stance is used for alpine riding.

Alpine stance =/= forward stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
I first started on a forward stance and recently went to a slight duck stance and it seemed waayyy easier after the change...
It may be easier for you, but that doesn't make it more common. It's really a matter of personal preference, and the OP should try both stances. IMO, however, a new snowboarder should be started with a forward stance.

OP, if you try duck stance, be careful not to try to point your back knee forward. Doing so can result in injury. Instead, keep your knees over your feet.