Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Need help? I messed up (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/116337-need-help-i-messed-up.html)

The_Hoff 01-03-2014 09:47 AM

Need help? I messed up

So my dumbass was waxing my brand new board last night, and I didn't realize the dial was in celsius. Its a k2 world wide weapon, it has a p-tex base, I used a lot of wax but I still might have burned my base (I'm only assuming this because of the temperature I used). The wax wasn't really smoking at all, I used a crazy temperature like 160 degrees Celsius which is 320 degrees Fahrenheit. I just assumed it was in degrees Fahrenheit. I cant believe this shit happened I am super depressed right now. Is there any way to tell if I burned my base bad or am I just gonna have to ride it and find out?

BurtonAvenger 01-03-2014 09:56 AM

If you burned it you would know right away. The base would be bubbled up and deformed on a level most can't comprehend. Look at the board is it still flat? Yes, cool not burned. No it's bubbled up. Well you're fucked. Or did you just leave the iron sitting in one spot for 20 minutes while you walked away? Yes, well you're not only fucked but retarded. No, then you're smart and it's probably fine.

chomps1211 01-03-2014 10:01 AM

I dont know from experience what a burned base looks like, but I would guess that as long as you didn't melt an obvious divot or hole in it? You're fine.

If you didn't leave the iron sitting in one place to melt the base, I dont think you did any damage. (...some folks who know more might know if overall excessive heat might effect the core?):dunno:

People REALLY get weird and paranoid about their first wax job. I know I did. ;)
Relax & enjoy the fast new ride!

The_Hoff 01-03-2014 10:21 AM

The only reason I'm paranoid is because I literally just bought this board and I used a temperature 100 degrees hotter... it didnt bubble up or anything and I did constantly move the iron around, I just wanted to make sure. I thought for sure the iron would be in Fahrenheit because 1. This is America 2. having an iron that goes up to 200 celsius well... that's really hot. Well hopefully I'm good, I guess I'll find out if my board doesn't glide down the mountain.

trapper 01-03-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Hoff (Post 1394985)
Well hopefully I'm good, I guess I'll find out if my board doesn't glide down the mountain.

I'm willing to bet that it will.

readimag 01-03-2014 10:55 AM

You will know when you burn your base like BA said, just like when you sleep to close to the fire and a sleeping bag melts.

speedjason 01-03-2014 11:29 AM

you will be fine. just scrap the wax off and polish it.
160C is not exactly hot. if wax is not smoking, and you did not just sit the iron in one place you will be fine.

The_Hoff 01-03-2014 11:52 AM

If it doesn't look like I burned the base, could that still mean I might of messed up the snowboards functionality/core?

BurtonAvenger 01-03-2014 11:53 AM

Unless the whole base peeled off and exposed the core it's fine. I've set boards on fire and then ridden them afterwards and they were fine.

speedjason 01-03-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger (Post 1395425)
Unless the whole base peeled off and exposed the core it's fine. I've set boards on fire and then ridden them afterwards and they were fine.

did you ride it while its on fire? cuz that would be super rad.:yahoo: