Flow Era, Flow Drifter, Rossignol Templar Magtek, Arbor Coda - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flow Era, Flow Drifter, Rossignol Templar Magtek, Arbor Coda

Hi,

-I'm looking to get my first setup; All mountain (75%)/Freestyle (25%) good pop, mid flex, but bouncy and doesn't chatter at speed and most of all very maneuverable.
-I'm beginner level: ride groomers, only just started to carve turns and edge to edge, hit tiny jumps, turns switch -but hope to hit the backcountry and park in the future.
-I'm 5' 7". weight 155lb. Boot size is US 7

I've posted here before on getting a Flow Drifter last season, but still haven't pulled the trigger My concern with the Drifter is that it might be too stiff for me, since I'd like to play around and try the park in the future and I hear the pop isn't spectacular, so thats why I'm contemplating the Flow Era 2013, and a Rossignol Templar Magtek 2013 and an Arbor Coda 2012. The Coda is 30 more than the rest, which was outside my budget -unless you guys think its worth it, tho i may have to get cheaper bindings then. These are whats available here in Europe.

I guess its down to personal preference and riding style with the different camber/rocker profiles but I don't have much experience in them.

As for bindings I'm deciding between Flow's Fuse AT or SE. I hear thats also a personal thing, but i'm too much of beginner and so gonna have to anticipate that personal thing and would like to hear your personal opinions.

cheers,
Xav
xav_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well the good thing is that with your shoe size you can get some awesome deals on flow bindings. Check out snowdealsnow.com, they have a ton of last years hard goods at great prices . Prolly land yourself an even nicer set of bindings for less than you plan on paying for those. There's also a 5% off coupon code floating around out there.

I have a drifter in the quiver I haven't ridden yet but most of the reviews and discussions I've read about the Era point to it being the better match for your goals/style of riding.
sclogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

flow era 153, i don't like flow bindings so...
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What size coda? I ride 7/7.5 boots and on the 153 Coda my foot didn't reach the edges but my boot did. I didn't notice any sluggishness but that could be due to the rocker and/or me compensating.

Really fun board but if you are getting something bigger than 153 I'd be wary of the waist width.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If youre primarily riding all mountain there is no need for a true twin. Drifter definitely.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the feedback!
So far i haven't even touched park, but would the Drifter make it considerably more difficult to learn (basic) park at all? Also would the stiffness of the Drifter sacrifice playfulness and maneuvrability by much in comparison?
Because of my foot size I was also thinking of a 153, and wondering which profile was best edge to edge. Also being on the heavier side of the boards, would that make it at all more flexy, and sacrifice 'bouncy'ness?
This is probably overthinking in making my decision, but i find it interesting to know anyways
Any love for the Templar?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well with the drifter being directional and set back it would not be a fakie friendly board. If you have any inclination to eventually enter & progress in the park, I'd stay away from the drifter.
sclogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I only have extensive experience on the Coda and it's just a fun board. Hardly anyone doesn't like it. I've been on the Era but only shortly while borrowing it for a few runs. Also a fun board but again, I'll defer to others for the Era.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I bought a Flow drifter earlier this year. I think it's a pretty playful board, you'll like it. It's no park board, but it's really not difficult to ride switch, press or hit rails on at all. It won't hurt your progression in the park, you can still throw it around.

It does well in cruddy conditions and is pretty stable, you can run over anything! I like it. I don't really think it's that stiff.
MarshallV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of the recommended boards hah! Good to know, i guess is up to my own finger to pull that trigger now.
thanks again!