Let's talk about stiff boards vs soft boards. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red face Let's talk about stiff boards vs soft boards.

As a snowboarder I would consider myself transitioning from a beginner to a middle-intermediate rider. I've been staying on mostly blue runs, with the occasional black run. I'm trying to learn more about board characteristics.

I would like some input on stiff boards vs softer boards. I understand that stiffer boards are preferred by freeriders and softer boards are typically preferred by park riders etc. But, I would like some input behind the theories of soft/stiff boards, and how their performances differ on the slopes depending on the situation they are put in. For ex, will a softer board used in an aggressive free riding situation tend to chatter or respond less than a stiffer board? Why would it respond less?

My other question is, some writers on this forum say they have outgrown a board. Not in physical size, but in experience and skill. As a rider how do you know its time to upgrade based on your performance? I think some answers to these questions would help us intermediate riders learn more about the characteristics of boards, what we prefer in a board, and make choosing boards a little easier. Looking forward to your posts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode