Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Waxing question (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11678-waxing-question.html)

Mosquitobug 01-15-2009 08:56 PM

Waxing question

I tried my hand at waxing a couple of boards recently, and learned plenty. The videos and tips from this site were super-helpful and encouraging. The one problem I had didnt seem to be addressed anywhere -- I ended up with wax smeared on the topsheet of the tip and tail.

Any suggestion on how to prevent this ? Maybe I should just ignore....

KC KONG 01-15-2009 09:17 PM

I just brush it off and if it does not come off right away then i just ride it off.

bobepfd 01-15-2009 09:21 PM

just wipe it off when you're done. you can use some orange based cleaner or something.

powderjet81 01-15-2009 10:25 PM

What I do when I wax is I turn the iron on really low and then touch the wax against it quickly. I then rub the block right onto the base. I can normally cover about 5 inches for each stroke, then touch it on the iron again. It leaves a thin layer of wax on there. It looks like a thin layer of paste over the base. Once I have got good coverage on the board I then just iron as normal.

By waxing this way I use a lot less wax, which means that i don't get excess everywhere, like over the edges. Its also more economical. Which i really like because I like to use fluorinated wax.

Another advantage is that because the wax is thinly spread it heats up faster and so I can iron at a lower temperature and don't need to hold the heat on there for too long. I dont have to use those extra seconds to melt the droplets before it spreads over the board.This helps avoid damaging the base.

It makes scrapping a lot easier as well because there is less to remove.

The only downside I find to this method is that it takes longer to apply it. But overall I find it to be faster.

If you do still end up getting wax on there use a citrus based cleaner, which you can find at most snowboarding outlets.

Dawg Catcher 01-15-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosquitobug (Post 111545)
Any suggestion on how to prevent this ?

you have four options
1) be more careful
2) just wipe off when done its not that hard
3) dont wax your own board
4) kill yourself so you dont have to deal with this.

stoepstyle 01-15-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher (Post 111604)
4) kill yourself so you dont have to deal with this.

best choice for you imo :dunno: ahah just kidding

Mosquitobug 01-16-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoepstyle (Post 111612)
best choice for you imo :dunno: ahah just kidding

Probably right ..... What was I thinking, anyway ?