Jrzy grrl needs a set-up... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
vanillahaze

Default Jrzy grrl needs a set-up...

Ok, so this is kinda sad... I actually work at a snowboard retailer and have NO clue on what I want. I lived in Florida for quite some time so I just recently got in to riding and decided it's time to get hooked up with some gear so I can board on a regular basis. Seeing as how I've only gone riding in Colorado, I'm wondering what would suit me best for the conditions of the East coast. So far the two set-ups I've demo-ed were: an 08/09 - 149 O-matic Super, 08/09 32 Lashed boots, and a basic pair of Burton rental bindings. For it being my first time I think I did pretty well with this though I found the bindings to be quite uncomfortable. My second time out I wore DC Mora boots, Burton Escapade bindings, and rode a 148 Rome Blue, all 09/10 gear. I think this worked out better for me, but even with these experiences and a good amount of pk I'm just not sure.... I'm 5'5", 135lbs and considering a 147 O-matic Benetar, Flow Minx bindings, and DC Moras, any opinions on these?? Good for the NJ, NY, PA area??

Thanx =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

just buy whatever you get a killer deal on if you work at a board shop someone that works there should know what a good setup is for the region and what the employee pricing is on it.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i would go with the rome since you liked it. but then again im a rome whore.

what shop do you work at?
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet

The priority is a pair of comfortable well fit boots. Try on every brand and size; with the ones that feel really good, lace them up tight as you can get them and wear them in the store for at least 10-15 minutes (with snowboard socks) if not longer and then if they still feel good put them on the list and try another pair...pay no attention to cost. Once you get the boots then find bindings that fit your boots.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
vanillahaze

I've still got pro-forms... and I've talked with company reps and my employees who ride but I'm just not sure about things like what kind of flex would do best for my experience and the icey conditions and if what I've chosen would work well together. I want something a step up from the basics that would be good to learn with would still last me for a few seasons as I progress. Again you think this would be easier for me considering I'm surrounded by the industry but the more I learn about features and technics the more unsure I am with all the choices out there.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
vanillahaze

I sat in my store for 2 hrs doing that, some of the sales kids thought I was nuts but that's how I came down to the DC boots. I know the flex of the bindings should be compatable as well but I didn't have any Flows in stock. Also, I like the BOA lacing system but I've gotten mixed reviews, any thought on them??
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

It seems like the second setup felt better for a reason: it was higher end, more expensive gear (correct me if I'm wrong). I'd stay away from ThirtyTwo boots as they're known to have durability issues. Work on your boots first and find something really comfortable.