How wax protects a base - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How wax protects a base

Okay, I have been doing some research on waxing, and found out that hot waxes are the way to go, it is not a layer on your snowboard but in your base, and wax increases friction between the snow with the wax and board. Since the wax isn't a layer on top of the base, does it still protect your base (not just talking about the base drying out), for example from hard ice, rocks, rails, boxes? and How?

Also, if it's part of the base, how is it that wax gets stripped off the base after many days of boarding? Wouldn't that mean that wax is on the base?

Why is it that if you leave a layer of wax on the board, it wont get a good glide to it?
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

no, it doesnt protect it at all
chowman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

Quote:
Why is it that if you leave a layer of wax on the board, it wont get a good glide to it?
The next time you wax your board, scrape off the wax like you normally would on half of the board, and then run your hand from the scraped to unscraped area. You'll feel that the unscraped part is sort of grabby, and definitely not smooth. Your base is fast, not the wax.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I see...

Have you guys heard of people putting rub on wax on their boards before heading into the park? To protect their boards from jibs,, rails, and boxes? Is this feasible or a waste of time?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rub on is a waste of time in my opinion. A good hot wax every couple trips should be all a rider needs. Wax won't prevent damage in the slightest if you hit a park object wrong.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not the greatest analogy, but whatever. Wax your car. Pull out your keys, and drag one across the paint. Does the wax prevent the paint from scratching?
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

when your board slides on the snow, the friction it creates produces a thin film of water between it and the snow.

it is this that allows you to slide along... the water basically lubricates the base to allow you to slide.

wax is 'hydrophobic' which is to say that it not only slides on water, but it actually 'pushes it away'. thus increasing your slide.

putting on wax but not scrapping it means that your board is covered in tiny bumps; which can trap molecules of water and snow and make it more difficult for them to slide off; basically your board has a greater area = more friction = more sticky = less slidey.

the wax enters the holes and pores of your base, to reduce this area and to push water away. any extra needs removing; hence scraping

it does nothing to protect the base, but works only to move water away from it.

(as far as i know)
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
lonewolf99701

Wow not only do we have snowboarders here but snowboarders who are scientists? Damn I never quite understood the technical reasons of waxing the base of my board I just did cause I new it made me go faster, Thanks for educating me on that.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
pyro13g

I seriously question the need to scrape after a hot wax. Not the drip a crap load of wax on hot wax(I only drip on the proper wax if I do it for a base cleaning) but the rub the wax on like it is a crayon. My process is:

Brass Brush
Wipe off base
Touch wax briefly to Iron
Rub Wax on Base
Iron wax on base
Let cool
Cork Base
Nylon Brush base.

My understanding is the lines brushing from tip to tail creates tiny channels, like a tire, to let the water escape the underside of the board.

I have not noticed any difference in board speed. Neither has anyone else I've waxed a board multiple times for this year. And to me this makes perfect sense. If you are riding on your edges, the wax on the rest of the base is not in the equation. Plus, the only time I notice the wax being gone, is along the edges. If you are riding the board pretty flat, your not riding for speed.

What I have noticed is that the boards need a hot wax less often.

Wax paste. I like it post ride to get something on the board if the wax is obviously gone. This gives me time to get to the next hot wax.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

What does cork do? Which step do people typically do it on? after ironing the waxing on, after the wax cools. I have seen some where they cork it after a certain brush, what does it do? Does cork equal felt cloth/block polish after nylon brushing?

Is the sole reason for wax to create friction and go faster? If you don't want to go so fast and eat it, can you just not wax it for a long time?

Does having a dry base for a long time damage the board?

Last edited by gamer539; 02-04-2009 at 03:00 AM.