Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   New member/experienced rider buying first setup (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/117257-new-member-experienced-rider-buying-first.html)

Rhyft 01-06-2014 12:46 PM

New member/experienced rider buying first setup

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and wanted to get your opinions on a proposed setup for my first purchase. I've been riding casually for 6 years, primarily free-ride/groomers with aspirations of some more advanced park riding as well. I'd consider myself between intermediate and advanced in skill level, meaning I'm comfortable on a board in just about any ground-based situations (air less so, but I want a setup that will let me grow my skillset). 5'10'', 145 lbs, and size 9-10 boot.

I'm looking to buy my first full setup, and while I'm not interested in limiting myself to one brand, I've really found Burton's website helpful in terms of categorizing the products (by flex/stiffness/responsiveness, board personality, terrain, etc.), since it doesn't require me to interpret optimal usage conditions from the detailed product specs. I'm also keen on Burton's channel system, since I'm looking for a board that will let me experiment and develop my preferred technique/style. For these reasons, and because I've enjoyed using Burton gear in the past, my below-proposed setup is Burton-specific, but please feel free to provide additional brand recommendations if you have them.
  • Boots: Possibly Tyro (for mid-range responsiveness and dial laces, which I've found useful since they seem to loosen much less over the course of the day) - any recommendation between 2013/2014?
  • Bindings: 2014 Cartel EST (possibly restricted, still weighing the pros/cons) - good all-around bindings for just about any condition, from what I've read. My understanding is that they're better for freeriding than Malavitas, which are more park-specific. I'm also looking for some added stiffness to compensate for the looseness of the below board I'm considering.
  • Board: 2014 Antler 154.5 or 157.5 - I love what I've read thus far about the all-mountain aspects of the Antler, but I'm still concerned about the lack of edge hold people have cited. Would a Custom FV be better? I'm pretty sold on the hybrid/FV shape, but are there better boards for the type of riding I do?

So am I trying to do too much here? Like pretty much everyone, I want a setup that won't box me into one type of riding. Above all else, I ride to have fun - think the above will be fun?

Thanks!

Rhyft 01-07-2014 04:06 PM

Anyone have any thoughts? I welcome personal experience with any of these components. Thanks!

DrGwiz 01-07-2014 04:14 PM

From my experience with the malavitas vs. the cartels is that the cartels to be a little more flexible and softer than the malavitas which always seemed to me to be a little more stiff.