Board advice! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
tiprat

Default Board advice!

Hey guys/gals,
Went into a shop today to look at/for a first board and turns out they had a big sale on. Ended up putting a deposit on a Forum Darkness (158) after talking to the dude in the store for a bit.
I'm keen to just freeride and do some park (mainly pipe) and just wondering if the board's going to be good for it. I told the guy in the shop what I was after and he said it'd be all sweet but looking it up on the net when I got home everything is saying they're geared straight for park/pipe.
I've only snowboarded once before (I'm in Australia) but am moving to Canada for all of this year/some of next (Calgary area) so going to be doing it as much as I can. I'm about 6'2" or so and only weigh about 60 odd kilo I think (don't pay that much attention, i'm skinny) and have size 12 feet.
Basically I got the board cheap and it looked solid, that's why I jumped on it, I'd usually look up things on the net first but didn't have time to come home and go back to the shop (over an hour drive each way).

Is the board gonna be fine for riding through powder and just carving through fields as well as some park work, or am I better off selling it (would probably break even) and getting another board in Canada?
Reason for thinking that is mainly to pick up more of an all mountain board, and i'll be coming to canada mid to end of march, and i've been reading that march is the time for big sales over there. The guy in the shop was saying because i'm light weight and it's a nice wide board I shouldn't be sinking into powder or anything, but really, I know stuff all about snowboarding yet.

Any help would be heaps appreciated.

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

If I'm not mistaken, the Darkness is a wide version of the Destroyer. Not a freeride board.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
lonewolf99701

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerjammermrk View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Darkness is a wide version of the Destroyer. Not a freeride board.
Then wouldn't a good question to follow up be what do you do more freeride or park/pipe?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf99701 View Post
Then wouldn't a good question to follow up be what do you do more freeride or park/pipe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiprat
I'm keen to just freeride and do some park (mainly pipe)
To me that means he does more freeriding than park. In any case, the ideal board is probably a do-it-all, all mountain board.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
lonewolf99701

OK im dumb i didn't pay enough attention. Sorry work was long today and I'm a little ADD right now.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
lonewolf99701

Is there a wide version of the Forum Seeker?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
tiprat

Yeah would like to do more Freeriding. Is there really that much difference between the boards? If so, what am I looking for in a freeride board compared to a freestyle? And yep, the Darkness is a wider version of the Destroyer.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiprat View Post
Yeah would like to do more Freeriding. Is there really that much difference between the boards? If so, what am I looking for in a freeride board compared to a freestyle? And yep, the Darkness is a wider version of the Destroyer.
Yes and Yes. A freeride board will be much stiffer than a freestyle board, among other things.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
tiprat

What are the other things? No tryin to be picky dude, just want to know.

I've skated for years and despite a big difference between say street and pool decks, I can still shred a small deck in a pool.

Am I really going to have that much of a problem in powder etc with the darkness board?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiprat View Post

Am I really going to have that much of a problem in powder etc with the darkness board?
Powder probably won't be enjoyable, and at high speeds the board will probably chatter considerably.

Quote:
What are the other things? No tryin to be picky dude, just want to know.
Flex is the main issue, but the shape will also be different, and default edge angles will be different, and depending on the manufacturer various other tech will be different.

I'm not saying you can't take that board all over the mountain, just that I wouldn't do it personally.