any of you guys wear protective gear? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #31 (permalink)

I wear a helmet, RED impact shorts and RED wrist guards. The shorts I have are the ones that have foam as well as hard plastic plates. I picked them up a couple of days after I hit my tailbone on a rail and never looked back - you barely notice them and they save a lot of pain on falls, plus they keep your butt warm on the chair!

The wrist guards I have are pretty low profile and fit perfectly over my mitts without having to struggle to take them off or put them on.
oni5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #32 (permalink)

Hey anyone heard of or tried "Planet Altitude Crossfire shorts"? These pretty sick and i think they're made in Australia. From the pics seems like the fit and design is what im looking for (not overly bulky...padding in the right places). However, I'm hesitant because of the lack of info on them. Shipping to North America doesnt seem too bad either...12 bucks.

:: Planet Altitude ::
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #33 (permalink)

true_richard, are the free fall shorts pretty low-profile? i've been looking for something that provides good padding but doesn't look huge when you have them on
jimdiecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
preavenyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
I wear a helmet every time I ride, and wear my crash shorts only when I know I'm going to be hitting the park. I thought about wrist guards, but I don't think they're needed. Just learn to fall and you'll be a-ok.
Besides a helmet, I think everyone should wear wrist guards. Regardless of how experienced you are, wrist injuries are common and you are probably more likely to have a bad fall on your wrist when missing a landing off a jump in the park as an experienced rider than a beginner catching an edge on a groomer.

Wrist strains are just a pain in the ass for a few days and that may not be enough reason to wear wrist guards. However, the wrist is a beautiful union of 8 small bones that don't handle being broken as well as some other bones in body might. One of these bones, called the scaphoid, is commonly broken during falls onto the palm of an out-strecthed hand. I don't care how experienced you are, it is a natural reaction when falling forward (i.e. if your board slips out from underneath you) to put your arm out to break your fall. Usually that means you fall onto the palm of your out-strethed hand.

Anyway, when you break this bone it is at a high risk of developing something called avascular necrosis - which basically means it is going to rot away and die no matter what surgery you have or how long you are in a cast. If you value moving your hand around, you don't want that to happen...

Probably more detail than necessary, but the important point with this is that if you are going to bother getting wrist guards they should have the brace on the top and bottom of the wrist - if anything the top is more important to prevent the injury described above.

I wear the triple 8 under cover wrist guards - they are about $20, generally comfortable, and fit into most gloves without much trouble. They may not really serve any purpose most of the time when I'm riding, but I'd rather that than have a random bad fall and end up getting stuck with only using my left hand for the rest of my life.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I rock a helmet (old school Protech rollerblading helmet) and an Icon Field Armor Vest as a back protector
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I rock a helmet (old school Protech rollerblading helmet) and an Icon Field Armor Vest as a back protector
I wear that thing when on my yamaha R6 motorcycle, but I think for myself it's a little overkill for snowboarding. I will say that thing saved my back when I went down last May.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #37 (permalink)
robzr

Hey guys just a heads up, I ordered some Protec IPS shorts from xsportsprotective.com, today they are doing a free shipping with no minimum promo and coupon code BS0501 gets you $5 off the order, so $42.95 shipped... last time I went boarding it hurt to sit for a week afterwards cuz of some hard falls.

Rob