Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Why are “Camber” boards so hard to find in New England?!!! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/117745-why-camber-boards-so-hard-find.html)

Jimbo4871 01-07-2014 03:07 PM

Why are “Camber” boards so hard to find in New England?!!!

It seems that all snowboard makers are designing more and more “Rocker” type boards and less to almost NO “Camber” boards anymore. Why is this happening?! As a New England rider that has been boarding for 21 years now (I only ride “All-Mountain”), I feel left out. New England is NOT CO, UT, or anywhere else, therefore we almost NEVER have powder conditions. In New England, 98% of the time the type of snow conditions we have consist of Groomed, Packed Powder, and or Ice. So why are there so many powder boards (“Rocker” type) on the market here rather than boards that should suit the local conditions more, such as “Camber” type boards?!

Can ANYONE chime in here with reasoning?!
Please keep in mind I am only commenting on “All-Mountain” type riding and not talking about “Park” or “Pipe” type riding.

Alkasquawlik 01-07-2014 03:17 PM

Marketing. It is stupid easy to sell rockered boards to beginners or people who don't exactly know what they want.

"Rocker makes it float easier in powder, you'll catch less edges, and you'll be able to press easier than a cambered board, blah blah blah." A simple sales pitch like that will make 80-90% of the people walking in your door stoked on reverse camber.

However, it's a trend. Preferences are already shifting back towards camber, for the past few years. Capita's most proformed (read shop employees, mountain employees, generally people who ride much better than the average person) board from 2-3 years ago was the cambered Indoor and you can see it in companies' line-ups. For example, Lib Tech, for all their blustery points about only making rockered decks, have essentially make a cambered board (albeit through a different name).

FWIW, I'm a camber kid.

surfinsnow 01-07-2014 03:23 PM

I'm old school, too. Bought my Never Summer Titan the last year they made 'em. I ride mostly Vermont/NH with a couple of weeks out west. Never had a camber board and have never needed one. I just found a GOOD board and know how to ride it. Also, working in the marketing biz, I know when I'm being bullshitted. :)

linvillegorge 01-07-2014 03:27 PM

I disagree. A couple of years ago, it was this way, but it seems like we're seeing a bit of a swing back toward more traditional camber profiles these days. Different strokes for different folks, that's why all those profiles are out there. There's no right or wrong answer, just what you prefer and what works best for you.

speedjason 01-07-2014 03:28 PM

I have a rock-out camber.:laugh:
but I do want to try a traditional camber tho.

East§ide 01-07-2014 03:30 PM

ive sworn by hybrid camber the last few years but ive been contemplating picking up a traditional camber deck for more all mountain riding.. its been a long time since ive ridden true camber but i want that pop again..

tanscrazydaisy 01-07-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo4871 (Post 1410177)
It seems that all snowboard makers are designing more and more “Rocker” type boards and less to almost NO “Camber” boards anymore. Why is this happening?! As a New England rider that has been boarding for 21 years now (I only ride “All-Mountain”), I feel left out. New England is NOT CO, UT, or anywhere else, therefore we almost NEVER have powder conditions. In New England, 98% of the time the type of snow conditions we have consist of Groomed, Packed Powder, and or Ice. So why are there so many powder boards (“Rocker” type) on the market here rather than boards that should suit the local conditions more, such as “Camber” type boards?!

Can ANYONE chime in here with reasoning?!
Please keep in mind I am only commenting on “All-Mountain” type riding and not talking about “Park” or “Pipe” type riding.

Buy a Burton board. They still make camber boards. They are a Burlington, VT-based company,

Psi-Man 01-07-2014 03:38 PM

I have two NS Premiers, an older cambered version and the newer RCR version. I like riding the newer board. It's easier to ride, especially in moguls/trees, plenty fast, and has plenty of grip in all but the worst boiler plate. I don't bother riding in those conditions anymore anyway.

Psi-Man 01-07-2014 03:41 PM

I see those Bean boards at the local hill. They are Boston based and I think their line is all camber boards. Next time I see a demo I might take one out for a bit.

wrathfuldeity 01-08-2014 12:24 AM

I still have 3 old top-end camber boards...and still ride them on groomer days.