Why are “Camber” boards so hard to find in New England?!!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why are “Camber” boards so hard to find in New England?!!!

It seems that all snowboard makers are designing more and more “Rocker” type boards and less to almost NO “Camber” boards anymore. Why is this happening?! As a New England rider that has been boarding for 21 years now (I only ride “All-Mountain”), I feel left out. New England is NOT CO, UT, or anywhere else, therefore we almost NEVER have powder conditions. In New England, 98% of the time the type of snow conditions we have consist of Groomed, Packed Powder, and or Ice. So why are there so many powder boards (“Rocker” type) on the market here rather than boards that should suit the local conditions more, such as “Camber” type boards?!

Can ANYONE chime in here with reasoning?!
Please keep in mind I am only commenting on “All-Mountain” type riding and not talking about “Park” or “Pipe” type riding.
Jimbo4871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Marketing. It is stupid easy to sell rockered boards to beginners or people who don't exactly know what they want.

"Rocker makes it float easier in powder, you'll catch less edges, and you'll be able to press easier than a cambered board, blah blah blah." A simple sales pitch like that will make 80-90% of the people walking in your door stoked on reverse camber.

However, it's a trend. Preferences are already shifting back towards camber, for the past few years. Capita's most proformed (read shop employees, mountain employees, generally people who ride much better than the average person) board from 2-3 years ago was the cambered Indoor and you can see it in companies' line-ups. For example, Lib Tech, for all their blustery points about only making rockered decks, have essentially make a cambered board (albeit through a different name).

FWIW, I'm a camber kid.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm old school, too. Bought my Never Summer Titan the last year they made 'em. I ride mostly Vermont/NH with a couple of weeks out west. Never had a camber board and have never needed one. I just found a GOOD board and know how to ride it. Also, working in the marketing biz, I know when I'm being bullshitted.

Last edited by surfinsnow; 01-08-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typo
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I disagree. A couple of years ago, it was this way, but it seems like we're seeing a bit of a swing back toward more traditional camber profiles these days. Different strokes for different folks, that's why all those profiles are out there. There's no right or wrong answer, just what you prefer and what works best for you.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have a rock-out camber.
but I do want to try a traditional camber tho.

Last edited by speedjason; 01-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ive sworn by hybrid camber the last few years but ive been contemplating picking up a traditional camber deck for more all mountain riding.. its been a long time since ive ridden true camber but i want that pop again..

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East§ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo4871 View Post
It seems that all snowboard makers are designing more and more “Rocker” type boards and less to almost NO “Camber” boards anymore. Why is this happening?! As a New England rider that has been boarding for 21 years now (I only ride “All-Mountain”), I feel left out. New England is NOT CO, UT, or anywhere else, therefore we almost NEVER have powder conditions. In New England, 98% of the time the type of snow conditions we have consist of Groomed, Packed Powder, and or Ice. So why are there so many powder boards (“Rocker” type) on the market here rather than boards that should suit the local conditions more, such as “Camber” type boards?!

Can ANYONE chime in here with reasoning?!
Please keep in mind I am only commenting on “All-Mountain” type riding and not talking about “Park” or “Pipe” type riding.
Buy a Burton board. They still make camber boards. They are a Burlington, VT-based company,
tanscrazydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have two NS Premiers, an older cambered version and the newer RCR version. I like riding the newer board. It's easier to ride, especially in moguls/trees, plenty fast, and has plenty of grip in all but the worst boiler plate. I don't bother riding in those conditions anymore anyway.

Last edited by Psi-Man; 01-07-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Psi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

I see those Bean boards at the local hill. They are Boston based and I think their line is all camber boards. Next time I see a demo I might take one out for a bit.
Psi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident poet

I still have 3 old top-end camber boards...and still ride them on groomer days.