Demo'd the K2 Slayblade 2014 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Default Demo'd the K2 Slayblade 2014

i've had my eye on these for 2 seasons but never had the chance to ride one til the other day...

i rode a 161 with this year's K2 somethingaruther binding...my normal ride is a K2 Titan 163 with last year's somethingsomething binding.

first impression, very light with a shorter nose than i am used to. they call it 'flat' as far as camber, with 'lifted' tip and tail. it was a full on pow day that day, shin to thigh deep everywhere and so the first thing i noticed was that stubby nose with very little upturn to it did not make such a good combo for the deep pow, at first. then it clicked. very floaty and responsive once i had a run or 2 and got used to it, if i were setting it up for myself (not some shop demo guy who could have cared less) i think i would move both feet back one hole..

when i did some groomed i was impressed, even though it was a touch shorter than i am used to i thought it carved as well or better than my Titan, but was noticeably lighter and effortless edge to edge. And, imo,the dampening was superb, i bombed some stuff as normal and it just flowed, never felt sketchy even for a second

anyway, it will be my next board, but probably when they are closeouts at the end of the season, i just can't get myself to shell out $528 for even a board with a topsheet of pure gold

3 thumbs up from CassMT
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I always wonder why some boards have very around tip and tail and some like my Villain has kind of blunt tip and tail. whats the benefit of having these designs?

Last edited by speedjason; 01-07-2014 at 04:53 PM.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

i think it's just a design choice, they've figured out that the shape of the nose has little or no effect. riding it, i didn't notice the blunted ends. i did wish the ends were a bit more upturned though, just a few degrees even...if there is an advantage to flat ends i would like to know...

forgot to mention:

switch: perfect riding backward, at speed, reverting it, stability and all that...just perfect

cattracks/flats: again, perfect..hauls ass, never felt squirrely like i hear tell a rocker can sometimes be...
Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
...whats the benefit of having these designs?
Less weight.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just the review I was looking for. I rode a 163 Titan for a few years before it was stolen I currently ride a Zeppelin 163 Wide, the model year right after they stopped making the Titan. '09 I think

I've been looking at the Slayblade for a few years now but never pulled the trigger until this year. I just ordered and picked up a 162 Wide last week from my local shop and I can't wait to ride it. I have a feeling this board is gonna be exactly what I've been looking for. Although, I will never see thigh high powder here on the East Coast.

I also just sold my NS Legacy on craigslist because it was just too squirrely while flat basing and at high speeds. Pretty sure I would not be a fan of any of the R/C combos which have Rocker between the feet.

Jon
LightninSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

damn i didn't know the titan was that old. i got it used, but in perfect shape at the end of last season, love it....no wonder this beauty seemed so lite and chatter free with the new tech...

very stable, it may be even better suited to eastern conditions
Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, my Titan was in perfect condition too before it was lifted. I'd probably still be riding it if some asshat didn't decide he wanted it more.

The Titan was a pretty wide board, but you rode a 161 regular width? What size shoe do you wear and how much you weigh? I'm a size 12, about 210 right now.

I will add more to your review after I've had a chance to ride mine. FYI, when I ordered mine they told me K2 only had 2 left in the 163W so you may want to hurry, they might be selling out soon.
LightninSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

yes, it was a 161w, and my Titan is a 163w, forgot that bit...i'm 6', 190ish, 12 boot. borderline for needing a w i know , but it was available and i abhor any toe drag in deep carves so it's been great. the slayblade seemed narrower than the Titan, i would have to check the details on that. i will go with the 161w i rode, it did everything better.

look forward to your take on it LightninSVT
Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Loooks sick. I just got myself some new Flow nx2-at bindings, Would pair sick with these.
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a 2011 164 Slayblade with the older flat camber, how much camber is in the new shape? And does it differ significantly from the flatline profile they had previous? Thanks for the review. ..
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote