Opinions on Board for my Daughter - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Opinions on Board for my Daughter

Hi,

Looking to get my daughter her first board. She is 7 years old
shoe size 2.5 -3 and 57 lbs She is very athletic and tall for her age.

Found a really nice deal on a new old stock 2010-2011 k2 Kandi the size on it is 129 and it is their catch free rocker design.

She likes the graphic (Very picky and won't ride what she doesn't like)

Is this board too big for her? The k2 sizing chart goes all over the place and hard to decipher,

Hoping to get a few seasons out of this.

thanks
larrytbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

aww little shredder.
on K2 website they just say below 59lbs is okay.
I would pick the upper length even bit longer since shes still growing.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Burton Chicklets are reasonable and easy to ride. My 7 year old is on the 100 this season. It's a bit small for her, but she is having fun on it. I have a 121 that I have been thinking of getting rid of. If you are interested, let me know. I also have Burton size 3 boots.
Psi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

what year is the chicklet?
I wanted to make sure she was a rocker
do you have any pictures? If she doesn't like graphic it wont work. the joys of being 7
she cares not about function, only form
Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't have a pic, but like I said, they are easy to find - this is the board:

Burton Chicklet Snowboard, 2006 - CrazySnowBoarder Review

No, these are not rocker, I would say a very mild camber. They are easy to learn on and ride though. For a forum member and fellow father I would give you a good deal with the boots as well if you want.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

Jeez, if she likes it...done; the important thing is she get out there and gets after it. Get it she won't know the difference, iirc my daughter at age 7 was on a little 130 option makinen camber...then at age 9 jumped on a 148 option bella camber....way too big and stiff but she learned to manage and by the time she was done she was throwing it around and blasting. Since she is athletic and hopefully determined....challenge her...and since just starting out...she doesn't know the difference between hard/easy learning.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Jeez, if she likes it...done; the important thing is she get out there and gets after it. Get it she won't know the difference, iirc my daughter at age 7 was on a little 130 option makinen camber...then at age 9 jumped on a 148 option bella camber....way too big and stiff but she learned to manage and by the time she was done she was throwing it around and blasting. Since she is athletic and hopefully determined....challenge her...and since just starting out...she doesn't know the difference between hard/easy learning.
Wow, if she was throwing a 148 around at 9 she'll never have any trouble turning anything.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi-Man View Post
Wow, if she was throwing a 148 around at 9 she'll never have any trouble turning anything.
She wasn't thrown it around at 9...kicked her ass, 10 was riding it and 11 was thrown it.

2 Sticks now...181 and 160-130-160 and she's 125# 5'4"

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-08-2014 at 01:46 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post

I have the same year board in chopper 125 (my sons old board). he had no issues with it, but he started being able to rip stick and skate board.
He was doing greens and blues first day, and 6 times later on double blacks and starting to do park (compare that to me who started same time and I am only on Blues) . he gave that board a core shot, so we wound up getting him a 13 burton super hero 130 which he feels is so much better than his older camber board. The k2 is very similar in profile flat with slight rocker

My daughter does not have his boarding experience and i felt that a rocker board would help her not get as frustrated trying to turn.
. She had a camber board for her lesson last week an older rossignal, and was catching edge all over the place. I want her to join us out boarding and not decide it is too hard and quit
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Chicklet/Chopper are definitely beginner boards, so a good rider can outgrow them quickly; therefore, no surprise there with your son. The other thing that can help is detuning the effective edge a bit more with a gummy stone.

Good luck with the little one.