Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Jones Carbon Flagship, need help to setup (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/118289-jones-carbon-flagship-need-help-setup.html)

tolvsbo 01-09-2014 08:26 AM

Jones Carbon Flagship, need help to setup

Just stumbled on a close out sale and bought a 164 Carbon Flagship as my first board, with some NOW IPO and Burton IONs.
my first 5 days snowboarding has been a howl and progression quick.(+30 yrs skiing, skateboarding and Kitesurfing might have helped ?!)

I've tried two diffferent setups 1" setback and 22" +15/0 at first , and later on the marks 23,5" +18/0. With the latest setup the board turn almost by itself on the groomed stuff but was harder to handle in untracked stuff.

Scanning the forums I understand you can ride with almost any setup and it's a matter of getting used to one.

BUT as I now have to chance to start out "right" from the start :yahoo: and learn from everyone else, I would be extremly greatful for any tips on the ideal setup for this board (should there be one)

I'm 6'6" 210 if that could be a factor choosing the correct setup

ARSENALFAN 01-09-2014 08:34 AM

Going to a Carbon Flagship after only 5 days of snowboarding is crazy. I don't think the board will be that much fun for you. Its a stiff mother meant for expert riders. I would have picked something more with a flex of 5 or 6 tops, twin, and forgiving. Not to say you cannot master the board in due course, but you certainly have your work cut out for you. Good luck. :bowdown:

tonicusa 01-09-2014 08:35 AM

Try 24" stance 18/-9 angles

tolvsbo 01-09-2014 08:56 AM

@tonicusa , tnx for the tip. Grabbing the screwdriwer right away :thumbsup:

@arsenalfan, tnx for the concern . I din't go to that board AFTER 5 days, I bought it an started snowboarding on it, and have done 5 days on it. :)
(payed 200$ for the board new, so no big loss if it hadn't worked out)

I would say it's been a great beginners board for me. Half of the time Iv'e been on icy man made stuff and the edge hold is really confidence building.
Already done some icy black runs, powder in the trees and 2 foot of heavy new snow and it seams as it can handle all pretty well.

Over time I believe it can be a bit on the short and narrow side, as it's for powder days that i started boarding

neni 01-09-2014 11:08 AM

... or try something + on the rear leg, e.g. +6 :)

binarypie 01-09-2014 12:00 PM

I have a carbon flagship 158 and here is my stance

I'm 5'9" and 150lbs.
My inseam is roughly 30.5"
I have size 9.5 Burton Ion or Driver-X
I have Now IPO bindings (stiff bushings) size Medium
I ride front +12 rear -6

I have not measured the exact width of my stance but here is how I set it up.

I started at the reference stance and moved my front-binding towards the center of the board 1 hole.
I started at the reference stance and moved my rear-binding towards the center of the board 1 hole.

This works really well for me but everyone is different.

Lamps 01-09-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tolvsbo (Post 1417953)
@tonicusa , tnx for the tip. Grabbing the screwdriwer right away :thumbsup:

@arsenalfan, tnx for the concern . I din't go to that board AFTER 5 days, I bought it an started snowboarding on it, and have done 5 days on it. :)

Just goes to show you can learn on anything. Nobody told the guy it was an "expert" board and he's rocking it.

OP, As for $200 brand new we hate you.

Now for shits and giggles demo a soft rockered board and try to do a few surface spins, Ollie's etc, just so you know what that's all about. And try a rockered or hybrid shaped powder board, if powder riding is truly your goal the flagship isn't really the perfect deck, rocker and taper really make for good powder shapes.

KIRKRIDER 01-09-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tolvsbo (Post 1417785)
Just stumbled on a close out sale and bought a 164 Carbon Flagship as my first board, with some NOW IPO and Burton IONs.
my first 5 days snowboarding has been a howl and progression quick.(+30 yrs skiing, skateboarding and Kitesurfing might have helped ?!)

I've tried two diffferent setups 1" setback and 22" +15/0 at first , and later on the marks 23,5" +18/0. With the latest setup the board turn almost by itself on the groomed stuff but was harder to handle in untracked stuff.

Scanning the forums I understand you can ride with almost any setup and it's a matter of getting used to one.

BUT as I now have to chance to start out "right" from the start :yahoo: and learn from everyone else, I would be extremly greatful for any tips on the ideal setup for this board (should there be one)

I'm 6'6" 210 if that could be a factor choosing the correct setup

I use +21, +18 for carving; but for powder you might want to try something that allows a more comfortable position, since you will be shifting a bit on the back leg, (even on a pow board) like +18 +9 ( I still like both positive since my boards are all directional)

goalieman24 01-09-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tolvsbo (Post 1417953)

Really?? I'll give you $300 for it right now. Was this at a local shop or online?

Back on topic. As you can see from the few responses already, ask 10 people for setup advice and you'll get 10 different answers. It's easy enough to alter binding placement that you should just keep trying different positions until you find something you like.

tolvsbo 01-09-2014 02:55 PM

I am really impressed and greatful. Thank your for all your answers.
Looks like I need to try out some both pos and neg rear footing, and experiment a bit with width :)

I do understand I havn't got me the most playful board, but I'll never intended to hit neither rails, kickers or even riding switch for any longer time, but be sure I'll try some different boards as soon as the opportunity is there.

The cheap price was due to last day of a close out sale at a store in Norway , wasn't aware that it was a steal at the time but happy finding out later :)