Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Yes Basic v Asym (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/118393-yes-basic-v-asym.html)

Wombat401 01-09-2014 02:17 PM

Yes Basic v Asym

Well there is no snow in Tahoe right now but it will come. This leaves me lots of time to think about what board I want to be on when it does. I have been riding for 5 years and am comfortable with park and all mountain riding. I am 5'6" 140 lbs and ride a 147 Pickle.

I like speed, side hits woods and kickers. Rails are cool too but the Pickle is good for those. Looking for a bit more stable, faster board and have read lots of board reviews but really would like to demo before buying.

I live in South Lake and could demo the Basic but no one in the area seems to carry the Asym. Wondering how either of these boards would hold up to what I am looking for and what size to go with (150?) Also how does the Smokin Asym match up to the Yes.

Also rockin Union Atlas bindings. Could these carry over to the boards I am thinking about? Only gripe with them is I ride duck most days and the toe strap pulls my foot in...oh yeah and the stupid toe lean.

tonicusa 01-09-2014 02:40 PM

Just grab the YES Greats off of The Clymb. The Big City board is a lot of fun too. I find it quite playful compared to camber decks.

scotty100 01-09-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wombat401 (Post 1419409)
Well there is no snow in Tahoe right now but it will come.

I live in South Lake and could demo the Basic but no one in the area seems to carry the Asym. Wondering how either of these boards would hold up to what I am looking for and what size to go with (150?) Also how does the Smokin Asym match up to the Yes.

Also rockin Union Atlas bindings. Could these carry over to the boards I am thinking about? Only gripe with them is I ride duck most days and the toe strap pulls my foot in...oh yeah and the stupid toe lean.

I admire your optimism but I'm thinking this Winter is fast becoming a bust. Family day at Squaw yesterday...

http://www.priebestravel.com/wp-cont...-la-playa4.jpg

Biggest difference between the Yes and the Smokin is the bend. Yes is Camrock, Smokin has rocker between the bindings. Smokin's asym is probably closer to Yes Asym rather than the basic. I ride Yes Greats board which is what their Asym was developed off, so not too different. Love it. Doesn't Porter's in Tahoe carry Yes boards? Also Tahoe Dave's has smokin boards to demo I believe.

Nivek 01-09-2014 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Coming from the Pickle and for what you want I'd say Basic. And you're thinking way to small on sizing. 54 for an all mountain board.

Wombat401 01-09-2014 06:45 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will demo the Basic and let you all know what I think. My first board was a 151 Santa Cruz it seemed a bit big for me to turn through the trees but I was a beginner and it had little to no technology.

Props to Scotty100 on the jpeg. Ha! Fallen Leaf Lake felt like summer the other day. Heavenly has decent fake snow for what its worth.

tonicusa 01-09-2014 06:59 PM

The basic just doesn't quite rail like The Big City or The Greats. It's a fun bopping around board but I would not classify it as all mountain. These Yes boards are all so easy to ride grab one with some balls like the ASYM.

What is "toe lean"???

jugeen 01-10-2014 12:07 AM

Is the 160w asym wide enough for boot size 12 stance 22.5-23" and duck +15 -15?

tonicusa 01-10-2014 12:25 AM

Definitely, its a 25.5 waist width.

Wombat401 01-10-2014 07:29 PM

Sorry I was getting that mixed up with the toe side lean of my boots. Old Burtons. Some of the newer model boots are fixing this I believe. The Union bindings are great I am just not at the point where I feel I have them dialed in. The toe straps pull my boots in (as stated before) and the toe straps and ratchets sometimes stick and are tough to undo. But hey I'd rather have that issue than the straps coming undone on me.

Triple8Sol 01-10-2014 07:55 PM

The Yes Asym is one that I really want to try someday, so I vote for that one.