Burton Clash base failing? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton Clash base failing?

I've got a burton clash that is 11 months old and the base is starting to separate I think.They die cut Burton in white into the base and it is starting to swell at the seams and it looks like water is getting in and separating the base layer. All the edges around the cut areas are turning milky looking sort of. I will try to get a pic. soon
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

so do you want us to say congratulations on buying a shoddy burton product?>
Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
JrOd

Oh Christmas!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I've got a burton clash that is 11 months old and the base is starting to separate I think.They die cut Burton in white into the base and it is starting to swell at the seams and it looks like water is getting in and separating the base layer. All the edges around the cut areas are turning milky looking sort of. I will try to get a pic. soon
You've got two possible reasons here: #1 It's another shitty Burton product. They don't make 'em like they used to. Does that mean they're shit? No, they're decent boards, but when a business upscaled into a multi-national corp. (The only thing Un Inc. really means on a practical level is Jake calls all the shots and pockets all the money, while convincing the kids he's somehow sticking it to the man) and ships mfg overseas, you're going to increase the bad-apple count.

#2 You got a perfectly good board and never waxed it either enough or at all. I would guess that this 'milky' look is a very dry and heavily oxidized (burnt) base screaming for wax. I have a hard time believing that even Burton would send a board with a die-cut base out to the masses without sealing the edges, so I'd guess #2 is your issue. You could have just scraped and scraped and the sealant could have worn away with time.

Waxing isn't just something old people do for fun, it's vital for base protection. You may have just learned the lesson the hard way.

Either case, you've obviously got water penetrating deep into the layers. I don't know how deeply, but if it's down to the core, you're screwed, and it's probably so wet it's too late to fix. But if it's not that deep, hopefully you can find a way to dry out the board and reseal the seams, if not, you're also screwed here too.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
iggnew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
If it was purchased new from a authorized dealer then send it in before the warranty expires.

"Milky" sounds like classic base delamination.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
but when a business upscaled into a multi-national corp... and ships mfg overseas, you're going to increase the bad-apple count.
Case in point: K2 is producing 40 different consumer boards for 08/09 (even though they only list 28 on their website's front-end).

Quote:
I would guess that this 'milky' look is a very dry and heavily oxidized (burnt) base screaming for wax.
P-tex only oxidizes at very high temperatures; temperatures unlikely to ever reach a snowboard during its lifetime.

Quote:
Base Oxidation: Pulp Fiction

Over the years, the wax industry has perpetuated the notion of "base oxidation," claiming that base material in skis and snowboards made out of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) can oxidize over extended periods of time if left unwaxed. In addition, many well-respected books on ski tuning repeat the mantra that frequent waxing is important to avoid "base oxidation." As it turns out, "base oxidation" is total fiction. The P-Tex material in your snowboard is inert, and can't oxidize. If you ride your snowboard for an extended period of time without waxing it, grayish streaks will form on the base, but that's a result of abrasion, not oxidation. Yes, it's important to wax your snowboard as often as you can to protect your snowboard from abrasion, but "base oxidation" has nothing to do with it.

This revelation was provided courtesy of Jim Honerlaw, a chemical engineer at Crown Plastics, a manufacturer of UHMWPE for skis and snowboard bases. He explained that oxidation of UHMWPE only occurs when it is exposed to very high temperatures (> 270º F). One such high-temperature scenario can occur when UHMWPE is machined into shapes used for artificial joints, which means extra care must be taken during the machining process.

To recap: UHMWPE oxidation may be a problem in your artificial knee, but not in your snowboard.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

OK. I stand corrected. I'm a biologist, not a chemist, damnit.

At any rate. The white is probably abrasion. And you will probably never neglect to wax your board again.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the replies and insight but I don't think it is wax related because I wax about every 60 hours wich is about once a week.
It started all of a sudden, within 5 days and it getting worse fast.When I noticed it was when I really started doing nose and tail presses alot. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not?
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote