OK need help choosing a board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
lonewolf99701

Default OK need help choosing a board.

OK since the Great Dawg Catcher thought it was funny that people will post for help with choosing a board and choose one in the same day before receiving an responses, I'll do one and wait for a while before making my final choice, so I can get as many opinions as possible.

So here we go, I am 6'3 170-180 lbs, Size 12 boots (but they size down to an 11) with a 23.5 inch stance, and 21 -18 angles. Styles of riding 20 % Rails 50% Park, 30% Back country, and I've been riding for 11 years. I Don't have and unlimited income, but I can pay up to 400 for a board. I prefer a shorter board between 155 - 159, and waist at 25.4 or bigger. I'm currently looking at three boards locally. Last years Burton Jeremy Jones 156, Lib Tech MC Kink MTX 158, and this years Burton Seven Wide 159. I only say these boards cause these are what local, I'm interested in Magne-Traction boards cause our main park is man made hard pack snow/ice. Open to rocker boards also. Whats your opinion or suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

havent ridden one but i've heard good things about the neversummer Sl-R, and its good for park, rails and backcountry powder.
BigC_ 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

if you truly want to stay local i say the libby if you are open to other things check out the infamous WWW or even ride society something about the word pop rod just makes it so appealing.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
lonewolf99701

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC_ 13 View Post
havent ridden one but i've heard good things about the neversummer Sl-R, and its good for park, rails and backcountry powder.
I've looked at some neversummer boards online the rocker ones have a very interesting shape I hope someone has some experience cause I know nothing about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher View Post
if you truly want to stay local
Its easier to stay local, dont have to pay shipping, and I can ride on it right after I pay. We do have K2 www's here also but aren't they really narrow? And what do you know about the Lib Tech MC Kink, cause I am really interested in it.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

well lib does make great stuff never ridden one but had a buddy that loved their stuff not the kink in particular but like they advertise he said that they do ride like a skateboard and that the transitions were very simliar to skating where not so much torsianl spin is needed. also many of their boards are feather light. and the simple fact that i think burton makes good bindings but for their boards you will get a lot more advanced tech for the same cash with other companies. although i have demoed the old WWW not the rockered version, found it very responsive and the simple fact that rockered boards allow you to go down a couple sizes seems to fit in with your small board need.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
lonewolf99701

I like Gnu boards also, and zumiez has a Carbon High Beam with BTX, but Gnu doesn't have the CHB on there website with BTX, is it a fake and should I stay away from it?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did you actually check out the board (i.e. is it actually rockered irl)? cuz it might just be mislabeled.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I tired a NS Legacy, and I wasn't a fan for what I do. You had to have perfect landings to have a shot at not washing out.

It was pretty buttery, handled groomers really nicely with that layer of rubber they have in there and the board had some serious pop.

the SL-R is the non-wide version, IIRC.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
oct6454

Default Legacy ; SL-R

I own a legacy and i would not recommend one for any sort of park riding (this includes the SLR obviously) If you were going to use it as a powder/ groomers than i would highly recommend it but for the park its not what your looking for. But otherwise a very solid board. you can't go wrong with NS in my opinion. You may want to look into the evo its the NS park board but because of its RC it does pretty well in the pow.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct6454 View Post
I own a legacy and i would not recommend one for any sort of park riding (this includes the SLR obviously) If you were going to use it as a powder/ groomers than i would highly recommend it but for the park its not what your looking for. But otherwise a very solid board. you can't go wrong with NS in my opinion. You may want to look into the evo its the NS park board but because of its RC it does pretty well in the pow.
I would definitely agree with this statement. I just got the new Legacy and took it out yesterday. Great for cruising the mountain and it felt very solid, no chattering. I know many claim it works good in the park but after hitting some small jumps with it, I don't see myself taking it on any rails being that it just has such a big feeling to it.
coffeenirvana is offline   Reply With Quote