Rossignol Templar good for a newb? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rossignol Templar good for a newb?

background- I've skied a few times when i was younger, but have never been boarding. Just moved to denver though and now looking to get into it now that I don't play paintball. Board rentals after ~6 days make it a better investment to just buy right away. If i dont like it for some odd reason, i can sell it and not be out much $.

I'm 6'1, 165-170 pounds, shoe size 10.5-11 depending on the company.

Found this board really cheap on evo after looking on the good ride for reviews. The guys on there really like this board. $163 shipped to my door for the '13 model , 159cm. waist width is 260mm

Is this a good purchase? And is this the right size?
Wasn't even looking at rossi as a brand, but the reviews on this board were ALL good. However, you guys are WAY more knowledgeable than I am about this sport.
Jason913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

buddy of mine just bought that same board but has yet to try it since we just got a wave of plus weather that destroyed the snow.
Unkept Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the exact same board in 153 (also from evo), except i got it for $178 still an amazing deal though.

i'm a beginner as well, and i think it's a great board. I didn't start learning on the Templar though, I got on it with about 5-6 days of experience. I'm starting to get into steeper terrain and some tricks now, and the Templar looks like it will stay with me even if i get decently good. Not sure where you ride, but the magnetraction is extremely useful for me since i ride in the icy NY area.

as for the size, rossignol has a size chart with recommended rider weight on their website.

However, why buy a board when you have never been boarding? How do you know you will like it? I'd say rent for 2-3 days at least - at the very minimum you're looking at buying not just a board but also bindings and boots, which (if you're a bargain-hunting cheapo like me) will be about $300-350 at LEAST. If you realize you don't like boarding it will be a hassle to sell everything (and you will probably be out at least 50% of the cost).
ThisIsSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSnow View Post

However, why buy a board when you have never been boarding? How do you know you will like it? I'd say rent for 2-3 days at least - at the very minimum you're looking at buying not just a board but also bindings and boots, which (if you're a bargain-hunting cheapo like me) will be about $300-350 at LEAST. If you realize you don't like boarding it will be a hassle to sell everything (and you will probably be out at least 50% of the cost).

That is true, great points. But renting it all will be a total loss... whereas if i keep with it, buying out of the gate would be a sound investment. At the worst, 50% of 350 is still cheappp in my eyes for a new sport lol.

I'm also new to winter sports in general, minus two vacations to keystone and Breckenridge when i was considerably younger. I'm not one to give up after a day or two, or make a decision on the sport in general after a day or two. I have the drive to "always improve" in pretty much anything. Since moving from FL to CO is quite the change, i want to integrate into this scene. I was really into competitive paintball back in FL, and my CO friends either ski or board. I want to at least learn to snowboard and keep my own with them
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

well it's your money... having friends who board definitely help maintain your interest in any sport, i'll give you that. In fact that was probably what made me keep at boarding haha.

and Colorado, huh - never boarded anywhere but the East Coast so someone else will be able to help you out. But the Templar's magnetraction probably won't be a big advantage with your great conditions.

Not sure if there are better boards that might suit you, but the Templar will do fine for all-purpose, beginner-intermediate riding methinks. Especially for the price.
ThisIsSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Renting gear is about 30$, if you don't like it your not out 300+. Go somewhere for a day, many places have a learn to turn Burton school thats 75-100$ for gear, lift pass, and a class too teach you some basics. If you get the itch, then buy gear.
PorkCereal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkCereal View Post
Renting gear is about 30$, if you don't like it your not out 300+. Go somewhere for a day, many places have a learn to turn Burton school thats 75-100$ for gear, lift pass, and a class too teach you some basics. If you get the itch, then buy gear.
thanks, i was not aware you could get a class, lift ticket and full gear for $100. i will definitely do this first