V Rocker vs ???? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default V Rocker vs ????

Hello again... I'm just wanting some opinions. I mentioned this when I was asking about my leg pain in another thread and forgive me if this has been asked before. I'm currently on a Burton Blunt V-Rocker (156) which is my 2nd board. My first was a used Never Summer. I can't remeber which one but I do know it was a standard camber board that I enjoyed riding. Has anyone else had much experience with a rocker? My area is more times than not icy hard pack. And I know the rocker is forgiving and all, but it seems like it sucks at carving and is very "drifty" when linking turns. So I guess my question is do I just suck? Or do the camber boards have more control and track better than the rocker? Is the rocker a waste since I don't really do any tricks (other than a small jump or two here and there)? Is there anyone else on here that went to a rocker and didn't like it so went back? Sadly I know I overpaid for this board. The price you pay for impulse buying I guess, but I may look at going back. Thanks again, Daryle.
DaryleTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like you'd prefer a cambered boards. However before you go that far make sure you've had the edges recently sharpened on you existing board, that helps with icy conditions.

I have both cambered and hybrid shaped boards and when it's icy I much prefer the cambered deck.

I wouldn't give up on your rockered board till you had it out with the edges sharp, and also you want to get it out in some soft snow a couple times as that will be where it shines.

the other thing to note is that you ride the rockered and hybrid (flying V boards) a little different and once you get the hang of this, committing to the edge etc then it's not as bad as it first feels, just different.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Can't say I'm a big fan of Flying V. It just feels uncertain and loose at times.
Sycomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies already... We are planning a trip to Snowshoe in a couple weeks. For our area that's about as close to pow as you can get. I guess I will see how it does there then make my decision. When I'm on it I feel like I'm driving a motorcycle with a loose, wobbly back wheel. For example on my old board, when I get off the lift, I could easily go any direction I want. With my rocker if I try to go heel or toe with my foot on the stomp pad all I do is slide the ass end out from under me. Again probably a lot of that is I suck and am not use to the board. I just wanted to get some opinions because if I decide to go back to camber because I'm definetely going to lose money..
Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just curious.. Have any of you rode a Flat/Zero camber board?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

A stiffer board would usually work out the leg muscles more. Though my camber board (Burton T6)... it would take a few hours for fatigue to set in (unless I'm cruising greens all day). My flying-V (Burton Sherlock), unless I'm hitting moguls hard, doesn't wear me down as much.

so, when you're hitting the gym doing squats, it's not about maxing out... hit it a little lighter and go for a lot of reps.

Biking is great conditioning for the legs for the snowboard season. Mountain biking (technical riding) is a great total body workout. Road biking is great for conditioning.
tanscrazydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

CAMBER!!!!!!!!!

The FlyingV is the worst of the rocker profiles out there "in my opinion". A slight departure from camber would be the YES camrock, which is camber with a little rocker at the tips.

I find camber to be the best profile for the conditions described, and what is often overlooked is that it "requires" you to use really "proper" riding techniques that can slowly "disappear" when riding the relaxed rocker profiles. For me that attention to technique that camber requires makes it hands down the most rewarding ride. Not to mention bigger ollies, bigger jumps, air out of the pipe etc.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryleTN View Post
Just curious.. Have any of you rode a Flat/Zero camber board?
I rented a ride machete for a weekend, didn't much like it despite very nice snow conditions.

I own Flying V and cambered boards.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the info... I sold my original board to a guy I work with. So last night he let me borrow it and I took it to our local resort. It is now time for my V-Rocker to go bye bye! I have loved this board. But when I went last night it was night and day difference on the conditions we have. Granted maybe if I were out west where the some power I would probably like my blunt much more. But on the icy hard pack my old board beat the pants of the blunt. I think another contributing factor a friend mentioned it (and correct me if I'm thinking of this wrong) that I have short legs, thus I more narrow stance. With a rocker, having a narrow stand, isn't that going to give me even less control? Since there's even less pressure on the ends? Especially on hard pack? So I was looking at EVO and there a board on there that I have seen mentioned before and it's on close out at a hell of a deal. Have any of you heard any feedback on the Rossignol One Magtek or the Templar Magtek? I think it's a mild RCR and from what I've read sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. However, I don't know how Rossi is in the snowboard game? Thanks again for the info!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That Rossignol is a "camrock" board similar to YES. I think you will like that and find it a big improvement. It's camber with some rocker in the tips.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote