What should I bring to Colorado? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Sparkle

Default What should I bring to Colorado?

Hey guys,

Been reading here a few nights and figured I could get some opinions on my dilemma....

I live in NJ and am going to Colorado for my first time in 2 weeks. It has been at least 5 years since
I last went boarding so I am a bit out of the loop. I have the following gear to choose from (from friends/family/my old board) to bring with me and out of the three boards I only want to bring two.

Here are my choices:

My old (@ 1998ish but still in decent shape) K2 HC152
My bro's old (2003ish) K2 Dart 155
My bro's 2006ish Lamar 157 i think (don't remember which board but I do know it was quite a bit stiffer and heavier than both k2 boards and bro didn't like it so it has sat since a week after he bought it)

I also have my choice of K2 Cinch, Burton Custom 13% highbacks, or Burton Custom basic Freestyle bindings to choose from but the deciding factor here will probably be which ones fit my new Solomon Solace boots best (11.5), all the bindings are size large but the basic burton freestyle ones have no option to extend the toe out so they will most likely stay home.

Prior to my snowboarding hiatus I have about 10 solid years of snowboarding VT/NY 2-3 times a year for a few days each time and I still surf and occasionally skate so this is by no means a learning experience. I basically can snowboard all day without falling if I "wanted to" but I want to get the most out of this trip (as in I want to do things that will inevitably end with me eating it a few or many times ) so seeing how I have never been to CO I figured I'd look for opinions on my gear choices here.....

I am not really a park guy but I do enjoy the occasional park run, I find more joy in freeriding and medium size jumps, probably go a little bigger if confidence permits after a few days. FWIW I am 6' and 145 pounds with boxers on.

Which board(s) do you suggest?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Sparkle

Ok, after reading a bit more apparently Lamar has a pretty bad rep, no wonder why my brother rode it once and put it in the attic....looks like the K2's will be coming.....
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Dart production ended in 99, and another Dart was made for the 07 season.

The only HC in 152 was 94/95.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Sparkle

Ok so my gear is older than I thought , I was taking a vague guess at how old the stuff was....all in all I am just looking for some insight as far as which of those boards/binding combo's you people "In the know" would take with you if you were going to a place like Colorado. It has been quite some time away from the sport for me. I see you live in BC, I am but a wee NJ traveler myself......Ultimately I guess it is personal preference though.

Last edited by Mr. Sparkle; 01-21-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Why don't you try some of the stuff out before you make a choice. Not ideal conditions probably, but at least do a couple runs on a hill to see how it feels under your feet first?

Just my opinion.
stevetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

quick FYI...drink at least a gallon of water/day for at least a week before you go. I'm from NJ too, last time I went to CO I was ruined all week. Could barely sleep, constant headaches because of the altitude.
jerz_hardpack is offline   Reply With Quote