What board should I get??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What board should I get???

Hi all. New to the forums. Been snowboarding awhile but i'm pretty sure my current board is way too big for me. I find myself using tons of energy and it takes way too much for me to connect my turns. That being said I am currently riding a 2006 Burton Custom X 152.

I am 5'6" and 125lbs. I'm pretty sure a 152 is too long for me and the board feels incredibly heavy. The Burton site suggests something like a 145/146 and a Vrocker whatever that is. I'm guessing I need a shorter, lighter more flexible board.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
promoguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

I was looking at a burton hero 152. Im 5'6 125 as well.

I think I need something around 146-149. Im thinking about the Rome Artifact rocker 147. I think it comes in a 149. It is a kick ass board apparently. Good for jibbing.

Let me know what you find.
samp252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

looks like were all in a similar boat, im 169cm at 123lb and looking for a all mountain board.

it seems like were all an awkward size for snowboards as we are bang on between kids sized boards and adult boards
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

From what i'm reading, my best bet is something like a park board. Soft and light, makes it easier to turn but because it's so flexible the stability and control suffers. So I'm guessing a medium stiffness rocker board might be my best bet. Something that is an all-terrain but also park. Hoping someone with more experience will chime in.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

promoguy.. I'm currently riding a Burton Blunt V-Rocker. I'm no expert at all but just giving you my opinion on that board. The Good: It is very maneuverable, very forgiving, and very easy to turn. The Bad: It's to maneuverable, to forgiving, and to easy to turn. lol... I'm going back to a more of a camber board. From what I've experience and others on here have told me. A vrocker can kind of mask bad habits. If you can't link turns very well this board will be more fogiving and you will "think" your linking turns better but in reality you are just skidding out of one into the other. Some of the pros on here probably wouldn't have that problem because they were skilled before getting a rocker. Just my opinion.. take it with a grain of salt. But for my skill level (which is pretty low) the V-rocker has been to advanced of a board for me. I would probably get a right sized standard board and sharpen my skills before getting a rocker.. again just based on my experience.
DaryleTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Daryle, its easier to practice on that board with the right technique and not eat it then on another board.

Just practice with it.
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

built some muscle.
125lbs at 5'6 is like anorexia.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've narrowed my search down to two boards. Not looking to spend much so these are cheap boards. Any advice or input about either of these will be greatly appreciated.

Ride Agenda 2013

Ride Agenda Snowboard 2013 | evo outlet

or

Rome Reverb Rocker 2013

Rome Reverb Rocker Snowboard 2013 | evo outlet

Not sure which one fits my needs more. I'm just looking for something that will make it easier and less strenuous to connect turns. Primarily slope rider with no terrain park. East coast snowboarder.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Strange to see a 152 is way too big for you. I'm 5'8 and ride a 154 board. That feels pretty spot on. It might be because the Custom is an all mountain board. Park boards tend to be a bit lighter and easier to move but keep in mind it gets a bit sketchy when your park board starts wobbling when you bomb it down runs you'd breeze though on the custom

I know somebody who is around 5'6 and he rides a 147. That board looks very small. Perfect park basher but he has some issues with it in powder.

Out of the 2 boards you posted the only one I have experience with is the Ride Agenda. My friend has the 2010 Agenda and it's a good all rounder.
Shred&Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks for the response!

More importantly though, does the Ride Agenda fit my needs? Or should i go with a park board? I know they are lighter and easier to manuever but is the loss in stability enough to cause problems in other areas?

I am not sure if my main problem is that the board is too big and heavy, or if I just need a different style of board, like a park board or a rocker etc...

I believe the custom x, especially from 2006, is probably very stiff and very heavy so it probably doesn't help that it is also too long for someone my weight.

I figured for $170-$180 I can't really go wrong if it turns out that it's just as difficult to ride.