What makes a powder board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz

Default What makes a powder board?

Just pondering in my head. After trying a powder specific board for the first time (Fish 160) I finally get why people would get a board specifically for that few days. Feels like you are gliding on cruise control and zero fighting with the snow.

So far I gathered in generally pow boards have:

bigger surface area either wide or longer than usual
most are tapered/ directional
most have some sort of nose tech to push or glide over the snow and a tail that sinks (either swallow tail/ spade etc.)

Here's where it gets confusing for me:

1. I have often heard people say that NS Summit is not a true pow board, but yet it seem to be very similar to the charlie slasher (taper/directional and specialized tail shape.) What makes the difference?

2. There are also the powder twinish boards like gyrator/ultra dream/sherlock etc, what makes them float other the camber profile? Since they have forgone most of the directional build ideas of the fish/camel toe/hovercraft etc.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Whoever is saying the Summit isn't a pow specific board is on crack. That thing sucks to ride on non pow days.

You don't need a directional shape to get float. What you need is an elongated alternate camber profile that has exaggerated tips. This will change how you float and glide. It's also for the guys that are spinning in pow or want to be centered.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

there are different types of pow boards...bowls, trees, fs, directional and etc.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Whoever is saying the Summit isn't a pow specific board is on crack. That thing sucks to ride on non pow days.

You don't need a directional shape to get float. What you need is an elongated alternate camber profile that has exaggerated tips. This will change how you float and glide. It's also for the guys that are spinning in pow or want to be centered.
As above, my Sherlock seems to be a bit narrow in the waist with a lot of surface area in the tips. This doesn't help the tail sink of course but I think it floats the bow. My understanding as well is that the rocker section is more pronounced in the Sherlock than in other Flying V boards, which sucks on hardpack but seems to benefit in soft snow/powder.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have to wonder why anyone would want to ride a stiff or really oddly shaped pow specific board when guys like Travis Rice, Jake blauvelt, DCP etc prove you can rock deep pow, trees and kickers on a pretty typical freeride/all mountain boards... they ride stuff we wouldnt touch but you never see them on a weird looking pow specific board. Seems more like a novelty item or a trend that makes you an elitist or something. I mean hey whatever floats your boat, I don't care but it just seems hindering to ride such a specific board when really it doesn't give you any advantage...
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
I have to wonder why anyone would want to ride a stiff or really oddly shaped pow specific board when guys like Travis Rice, Jake blauvelt, DCP etc prove you can rock deep pow, trees and kickers on a pretty typical freeride/all mountain boards... they ride stuff we wouldnt touch but you never see them on a weird looking pow specific board. Seems more like a novelty item or a trend that makes you an elitist or something. I mean hey whatever floats your boat, I don't care but it just seems hindering to ride such a specific board when really it doesn't give you any advantage...
I guess when you ride 200 + days a year, you can float on an ironing board if you need to ;-)
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz

Thanks BA. That makes sense.

Casual: I think I need a lot more help than DCP or TR.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

even on the ultimate pow day i personally would not want a directional board
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
You would be surprised how many of those guys have a powder specific deck in their quiver. Have to remember they snowboard when the camera isn't on as well.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I rode my t.rice hp for two runs this past sunday... which was after about 75cm over three days. Walked back to the truck and grabbed my Charlie Slasher for the other ten runs. Pow boards make pow days fucking epic imo. They are fun, super floaty and so much less effort to ride in the deep.
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote