Good idea? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good idea?

Well here's how it goes... My cousin has come across 4 brand new, unridden boards that he's trying to sell.
I'm 5'7", 140 LBS, size 10 boots. This is only my second season riding however I go every weekend and I'm a quick learner... So I consider myself a intermediate rider.

The board that I'm interested in is a Technine MFM PRO Sand 155. Now I know it's an expensive board but my cousin is willing to part with it for $200 Canadian. And like I said, it's never been ridden. Still has the stickers on it.

My questions:
Is a 155 too big for me?
The rental I use right now is a 154 and I seem to be fine with it, but what do you suggest for size? I've never ridden park of rails, but I've hit a few smallish jumps with ease and tried a couple 180 spins and stuff.
Any thoughts on the board itself? Anyone ever ridden it?

And what would be a good cheap set of boots and bindings that would fit? I'm looking at spending AT THE MOST $150 canadian for boots and the same for bindings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
GTavalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
powderjet81

The 155 will be fine for you. I am the same weight as you and I ride a 154 park board.

As for boots Id suggest looking at something like vans mantras or high standards. They are good value and you may be able to find some on sale for $150.

For bindings id say look at ride lx or ex. Or maybe something like burton missions.

If you have to compromise because of cash Id recommend spending more on the boots and saving on the bindings. $300 limit for boots and bindings is quite limiting and you dont want to go too cheap or you could end up with gear that is just not nice to use.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Spend the money on boots more than bindings. Boots are waayyyy important.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks alot guys.

And i know the $300 limit is really, really limiting but it's all the money i can come up with right now.
And i don't think i'll be too picky though, after all, this is my second full season with a rental that is so chipped and cracked it's actually sad.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

you can always ask them to exchange it or find another rental place with nice boards and brands?
Sobek305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well it's my second season, I go once a week (or more) and I plan to be doing this for many more seasons... so why not buy a board instead of renting for years?