I am heavy and tall (6"2 and 205) and I need help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
brakh

Default I am heavy and tall (6"2 and 205) and I need help

Hi all,

I am trying to read lots from this site and because the content is huge I couldn't find exactly what I am looking for. If it was already there and it is my fault please excuse me for being repetitive. I will summarize my questions and my situation.

I am a big guy and a heavy one (but slim, how come I don,t know) I started with hiring big boards 68 and wide ones (although the hire shop never credited the fact that my feet were not very big : 10.5)

It was always like that and trying to learn on a big board was very difficult for me.
As far as I could understand from what people say here and there I do not need to ride a long board like 168. I think I can be much more happy with 59s and / or 61s, but then again I don't know exactly and I couldn't convince any shop owners to rent me a smaller one (strange isn't it)

I am not after tricks and all, I just want to be confident enough to cope with all types of terrain. I am learning now and I just started to link turns. I can maneuver my body quite quickly and I would like to use that as a strength. I really do not want to ride big bulky inflexible equipment, which catches all the time and requires more power to control.

Anyway my preference is to buy one board for myself. I like the bananas (161) (the concept, the technology behind it and all), but have never ridden them.
Is it too much for now? Or should I settle with hiring more (problem in Australia=we don't have many options)

Well what say you?

For the bindings what would you suggest and why ?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you learn on a big stiff plank you'll have an easier time on any other smaller board as big and stiff forces you to use proper technique and leverage to carve.

Lots of companies are implementing rocker/reverse camber/etc. into their line-ups now so unless you're dead set on a skate banana, take a look into other rockered boards from other companies.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
brakh

Thanks for the response. Yes I believe you're right, do you suggest any other rockered board brands? And what do you think 161 or 159 is ok? Thanks again
Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i am 6foot 210lbs with a 9UK hoof...

i learned on a fairly stiff 156

and then went to a flexy 161

and now rock a super stiff 166

i wouldn't worry about it.

new tech boards like bananas are oorite, but not so vital to noobs that they avoid the 'gimmick' tag.

i reckon you want a low to mid 60s plank. flexier the easier it'll be for you to ride and i doubt a wide board is needed, unless your binders are set to zeros.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
brakh

got it. thanks a lot guys
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm 6'3", 200 lbs., 14 US Boot, freeride. I've got a 161 and a 166, both wide versions. I learned on a 168 wide, however, and had no problems. You should probably stick to the low 160's. A small foot/narrow board will only help with quick transitions (even though the ladies in bed might not be impressed).

Make sure whatever board you eventually get isn't any wider than you need, that's pretty important.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm almost exactly the same proportions as you (6'2" 195-200#) And I like boards with a mid-flex in the 160-162 range.

Right now I'm riding a Never Summer SL-R 161, and absolutely love it to death.

It depends on what kind of riding you do:
Park: 156ish
All Mountain: 161ish
Freeride: 165ish

Would be my estimates.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

im 6-6'1 with a 10.5 foot and about 195-215 lbs depending and how much im able to skate/bike in the winter. currently i ride a 156 for all aspects of my riding from back country to street jibs and do fine. ive had boards as big as 163 and as small as 154.5. ive found with my heavy skate influence/background that i just prefer the smaller boards.
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
brakh

Thanks a lot all, I will go and buy as I wish. I was feeling that this is a preference thing unless you go extremes and from your replies I can see I was right.
Cheers
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 6'3 180 and I ride a 165. I ride all mountain so I went a little bit longer. I think you were fine. Trust your gut.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote