at the verge of quitting snowboarding! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
54321bam

Default at the verge of quitting snowboarding!

New member here! Names Jimmy. I don't know how I didn't find out about this site earlier. Anyways, after reading all the threads on lead foot pain on this forum, I'm hoping insoles are the solution (how I did not think of them before is beyond me!). But ya I just recently got new Burton boots (which I did try and walk around in the store prior to purchase) and Flow "Five" bindings (the ones u step into) to see if I can relieve the pain while boarding. To my surprise, the pain was just as bad if not worse. I'm at a point where as soon as I get to the top of the mountain, I'm already worrying about when I got to stop in the middle of the run to relieve the throbbing pain in my lead foot (I ride regular). I've tried everything else that I could come up with to help with the pain. Bought new boots, new bindings, put sticky foam in the boot, tightened and loosened the boot more, nuthing's worked. I can't believe I didn't think of insoles though lol. I'm in Sapporo snowboarding atm on a family vacation so I'm using rentals. That still didn't help. I'm seriously at a point of quitting the sport. It's become that much of a hassle. Any other suggestions on boot/binding combos if my insoles don't end up working out? I've only read about Superfeet so far. Are Dr. Scholls good for boarding? ANYTHING! I'm desperate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you don't have the ability to return your boots, try the Super Feet. I guess your options are a bit slim at this point since you have practically brand new boots. I know there are other quality brands of insoles. I'm sure a few guys will pipe up with some recommendations. Did you try on a lot of different boots on your 2nd go around? Where is your pain coming from? This will help everyone diagnose your problem. Do you get pressure points, arch problems, numbness, the list goes on when it comes to types of foot pain. No one's foot should hurt like that. Give us some more input on the type of pain you are experiencing, and I think you will get some more specific information back.
SnoRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

it could be boots or bindings really. honestly every time i rented i had fairly severe pain in my feet. once I bought my own gear and fitted it all, it doesn't come back unless i tie my boots way too tight.
snowjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

foot pain ALWAYS lies in the fit of the boot

end of story.

any set up should start with the boot, then the right binders ansd then finally the best board.

the boot is the connection between your body and the outside world; ie the hill you are rocking. it is therefore appropriate to pay most attention to the fit being offered.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
54321bam

My foot is fairly arched. I usually don't have problems with any other type of activities that involve shoes ie. ice skating, rollerblading, running etc. Keep in mind that I have been boarding since I was 16, now 23 and the pain was never as severe when i was younger. Although I didn't board nearly as often as I did from 19 on. The pain is coming from the whole left side of the foot and the bottom of the foot (arched area), as well as the top of the foot. It's a throbbing pain. It tends to hurt the longer the run, usually when I have to Toe more. Heeling or riding goofy relieves the pain although my foot still feels like its throbbing. When I get to the bottom, I usually take off my binding right away and the pain MIGHT subside (depending on how long the run). If it doesn't I end up having to take off the boot as well. If its a short run, on the way up the chairlift, the pain will go away slowly but returns as soon as I strap up and go again. It feels like my foot never wants to stay in place while riding. Meaning my heel always lifts up out of the shoe. I try to tie my laces as comfortable as I can usually before boarding and my heel never lifts up until i strap up. I did not try on as many as 10 different boots but I looked into about 2 or 3. I considered the BOA system but the boots were ugly imo. I ended up going with the pair that sort of matched my gear and was comfortable at the same time. I know totally freakin stupid now that i think back. I usually do have my own gear, just that I'm in Asia for a family vacation and home is back in Vancouver so I didn't bother lugging my gear around. Hope that's specific enough.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yeah man you got the wrong boots/bindings. the pain you are describing is exactly what i used to get.
snowjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jarriq

If like you say walking around and everything feels fine, you could try to change the angles on your bindings a little. i was riding kinda duck footed, but i realized i dont even do terrain and so i changed by back foot to -1 or 0 and it helped so much with the pain in my front foot.

Idk about you, but this really helped me.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

It also sounds like your boot is way too big since you indicated if feels like your keeps wanting to slide out. In addition have you tried different angles for your bindings? How about the way you ride? Do you possibly pull all your weight on your front foot?
EC99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

In my opinion you didn't try on enough boots. If you decide to get knew boots again (you will probably have to if you want to continue the sport) my recommendation is to try on a TON of boots. Check out the boot fitting guide in this forum, it provides chapters of info on this subject. Once you have made an in-store decision, wear them around the house for a while to make sure your feet feel right. I'm talking for maybe up to a week for at least an hour or two a day before you make it to the hill on them. That way if they hurt you can bring them back without an issue. It sounds ridiculous, but I'm telling ya, boots are expensive and significant to a comfy ride. People usually end up punished for quick/uneducated decisions on boots.

I am still on my first pair, they are too comfy to give up, and they have plenty of life left. I know for a fact I am going to be really picky when it comes to swapping them out for a new pair. I will continue to use them until I am 100% certain that the new pair I will choose will work just as well.
SnoRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can't quit snowboarding!!!

Where is the pain on your foot?

Try the Salomon Dialogue. Best boots I've ever owned, had they not been a size too big.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote