Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Did I just buy board way to small? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/119945-did-i-just-buy-board-way.html)

Jakay 01-16-2014 03:15 AM

Did I just buy board way to small?

I just bought my first board, the guy at the store seemed to know what he was talking about and was telling me how he prefers shorter boards, especially when learning.

So he set me up with a 155. I'm 6"2 and 160lbs. I guess my weight kind of matches up to 155, but am I to tall for this board?

This seems short, because when I rented last time they first gave me a board that was bigger than 160, not sure what it was but probably high 160's... it was way to big to i traded it in for a 160, which still seemed pretty big but a lot easier.

The guy that sold it said it'd be easier to learn and more fun to use, there were the exact same boards but bigger, but he advised i got this size. Thoughts?

24WERD 01-16-2014 03:21 AM

What are you using it for?
ig huge mountain resort?
small mountain back east?
Jibbing?

Rentals are usually just one model with the same flex , but different length = more weight .

When you buy they add technology to it or material that stiffen or core it out or other tech in it that offset the flex and size.

What board did you get?

and shoe size?

ASwedishViking 01-16-2014 03:36 AM

It's a common mistake to think that the board lenght is varies by the riders lenght, when it is actually your weight that matters. So the dude in the shop was probably right :)

Jakay 01-16-2014 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24WERD (Post 1440745)
What are you using it for?
ig huge mountain resort?
small mountain back east?
Jibbing?

Rentals are usually just one model with the same flex , but different length = more weight .

When you buy they add technology to it or material that stiffen or core it out or other tech in it that offset the flex and size.

What board did you get?

and shoe size?

I'm not really sure what i'll mainly be using it for (only been snowboarding once) bought the board because I want to continue going and figured it'd save me money. So for right now, mainly used to learn on.. i know smaller the board slower it is which is fine for me

it's a K2 Fuse. And my shoe size is 9.5 (US)

Jakay 01-16-2014 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASwedishViking (Post 1440769)
It's a common mistake to think that the board lenght is varies by the riders lenght, when it is actually your weight that matters. So the dude in the shop was probably right :)

Awesome, thats what the guy working there said as well. He was a bit shorter than me but the same weight, and he said its the same size board he uses..

Its funny because when I got rentals, the people picking out my size for me were telling me weight doesn't matter as much when snowboarding.. and they measured the length by holding it up infront of me, giving me the one that came up to my nose :laugh:

wickedsight 01-16-2014 04:33 AM

I'm 6'2 myself and I ride a 155 for park and a 159 for groomers/powder. When I used to rent they would give me 162+ boards too, but I have to say a shorter board is more fun.

My 155 is very flexible and it had blunt edges, so it doesn't do very well when trying to turn hard, but that doesn't have anything to do with the length.

In the end it all depends on what you want to use it for.

tonicusa 01-16-2014 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASwedishViking (Post 1440769)

This is not entirely true though in reality. While your weight may determine whether the board's effective edge and flex will hold you, there are some real drawbacks to riding a board that is too short for you. Im 6' and I won't buy a board shorter than 156 for park riding etc. Your stance becomes too wide for the board's geometry and where the sidecut is. You will notice some pushing and pulling in the tip and tail and less fluid turns and loading of the board. Also dropping into the pipe and running into kickers can feel awkward as it becomes very easy for your body to suddenly be further over the nose or tail in comparison. I also notice spins and air stability gets less smooth and not as nicely balanced and weighted with a real short stick. If none of these things matter to you or you don't notice them then you're fine.

ASwedishViking 01-16-2014 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakay (Post 1440785)
Its funny because when I got rentals, the people picking out my size for me were telling me weight doesn't matter as much when snowboarding.. and they measured the length by holding it up infront of me, giving me the one that came up to my nose :laugh:

Lol! You can get an idea of what your board lenght should be by comparing your height, but it will never be as precise as it would be when using your weight.

When you progress as a snowboarder you will also look into other features in the board depending on what kind of style you have (freeride, freestyle etc), but I think you made the right decision to go with a shorter board as your first board since it will be easier to controll :)

wickedsight 01-16-2014 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonicusa (Post 1440857)
Also dropping into the pipe and running into kickers can feel awkward as it becomes very easy for your body to suddenly be further over the nose or tail in comparison.

Have to agree with this, when I ride park with my 155 I usually hit rails and boxes. When I want to hit bigger kickers I prefer the 159 for stability, but this is also because it's a completely different board: directional; hybrid; sharp edges, compared to the 155: symmetrical twin; rocker; blunt edges.

In the end to me the most important thing is whether it makes you smile when you ride it.

john doe 01-16-2014 06:30 AM

At 6'2" I would say the board is a little short for you. While weight matters most, height does have an effect on leverage over a board and how stable you will be. That said, since you are a beginner it will be more then fine for your first season. After that you can decide from there and probably just keep that as your park board.