Edge tuning help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
[Ian]

Default Edge tuning help

Picked up a dakine edge tool today. Pretty simple looking but not for a noob like me. The file is double sided and i don't know which side to use to sharpen my edges. One side is kind of a hex pattern while the other is diagnol lines. Also, how do i hold it when sharpening? sorry for hte general questions, i don't have much time on the computer right now.

Hope you can help,
Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

if its this one, not to sound like an asshole but its pretty straight forward if you cant figure this out you proabbly shouldnt be tuning. anyways the diagonal is more aggressive and will take out large filings the hex is finer and will take smaller ones. you hold this right on your board edge and shape the bottom and sides. this wont give you a bevel or degree cut though.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
tonyroc14

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ian] View Post
Picked up a dakine edge tool today. Pretty simple looking but not for a noob like me. The file is double sided and i don't know which side to use to sharpen my edges. One side is kind of a hex pattern while the other is diagnol lines. Also, how do i hold it when sharpening? sorry for hte general questions, i don't have much time on the computer right now.

Hope you can help,
Ian
ive got one similar to that, but it has a 90 degree side and an 88 degree side. Im not trying to sound like an asshole either but it should be really really easy. What dawg catcher said is pretty much how it goes. The only other thingi can add is make sure you have long even strokes, and clean off the filings really often.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

One side of the file is double cut. The other is single cut. You should know immediately which side is which by looking at it.

Double cut is used for quickly shaving off material.

Single cut is used for "smoothing". I recommend you use only the single cut side for standard edge tuning.

The double cut side will need to be cleaned often (with a file brush or other cleaner), whereas the single cut side will "clean" itself during use (mostly).

Always go "against the grain" when filing. Going the other way will dull the file. The Dakine file pieces have an arrow showing you which way to pull the file.

Also pay attention to any numbers on the plastic tool itself. 90 is a straight right angle, whereas 88 will bevel the edge 2 degrees inward.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Find out what your side bevel angle is. I think the Dakine has a 90 degree angle, and 88. Use the less rough side of the file. Slap the green part on the base. Follow the arrows. Long even passes a couple of times. Repeat on the other side, and you're good to go for like another 5-6 or to 10 days of riding. It basically tunes or sharpens the side, and gives you that sharp edge corner that it makes with the base.
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote