Brushes for Hot Waxing, and Citristrip - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brushes for Hot Waxing, and Citristrip

So, I went to my local hardware store and ski shop to scout out stuff I can buy for waxing. Is there much different between the brushes I get from the hardware store (Ace Hardware), or from the snowboard shop? I found this brass brush at the hardware store that I thought to get for pre-cleaning the old wax and crud on the board. Will this damage my base?

I asked the guy at the ski shop and he said the bristles are smaller for the dedicated ski brushes.

Can I just go cheap, and get the brass brush from the hardware store, a old nylon shoe brush. Then if I feel like then get a horsehair brush from the ski shop (i also found felt on a cork =P).

Small bottle of Dakine Citrus Cleaner was like 8 bucks, I found Welcome to CitriStrip.com , it comes as a gel, liquid or spray, but I can't find what it's made out of.
Also ACE CITRUS CLEANER-DEGREASER Gallon 1186 ESSENTIAL INDUSTRIES and Ace - Ace Tree: Home Goods: Cleaning: Household Cleaners: Rug & Upholstery Cleaners: Spot Removers: Citrus Solution (22608) - 6 Pack . Anyone know if these work? or will it kill the board? The guy at the ski shop said just do a hot scrape, cause the hot wax lifts the crud and dirt up to the top.

oh yeah, what does cork do? or what is it for?

Last edited by gamer539; 01-21-2009 at 09:49 PM.
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

i have always heard of the cork pads used for buffing primarily rub on wax
Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
tonyroc14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer539 View Post
So, I went to my local hardware store and ski shop to scout out stuff I can buy for waxing. Is there much different between the brushes I get from the hardware store (Ace Hardware), or from the snowboard shop? I found this brass brush at the hardware store that I thought to get for pre-cleaning the old wax and crud on the board. Will this damage my base?

I asked the guy at the ski shop and he said the bristles are smaller for the dedicated ski brushes.

Can I just go cheap, and get the brass brush from the hardware store, a old nylon shoe brush. Then if I feel like then get a horsehair brush from the ski shop (i also found felt on a cork =P).

Small bottle of Dakine Citrus Cleaner was like 8 bucks, I found Welcome to CitriStrip.com , it comes as a gel, liquid or spray, but I can't find what it's made out of.
Also ACE CITRUS CLEANER-DEGREASER Gallon 1186 ESSENTIAL INDUSTRIES and Ace - Ace Tree: Home Goods: Cleaning: Household Cleaners: Rug & Upholstery Cleaners: Spot Removers: Citrus Solution (22608) - 6 Pack . Anyone know if these work? or will it kill the board? The guy at the ski shop said just do a hot scrape, cause the hot wax lifts the crud and dirt up to the top.

oh yeah, what does cork do? or what is it for?
i use an old nylon brush that i cut the bristles down. And a scotch brite pad... I cant afford a brass brush and a horsehair brush...lol Well considering your base is pretty much just plastic i couldnt see how those cleaners would hurt. Just get the most mild one you can.. Or water it down...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher View Post
i have always heard of the cork pads used for buffing primarily rub on wax
also for buffing p-tex
Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

the guy at the store said their brass brushes were in the back, and were like 30 bucks, the big oval ones with the handle even more expensive, like 40 or 50. I asked what I should get if I'm a recreational snowboarder, and he said nothing, just stick to scotchbrites, the brushes are for racers, and people who "re-structure" their bases (if I heard correctly, what does this mean?).
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
pyro13g

If you take the necessary precautions and pay attention to what you are doing then save yourself a ton of $$ and get the supplies from the hardware store. WAX and CORK are the only things I bought for waxing from the ski shop.

1. I use a BBQ grill cleaning brush refill for my cleaning brush. It does a great job but you must apply very light pressure.
2. Cleaner. I use Brake Cleaner to de-wax. Spray on, wipe immediately.
3. To clean up a base with no wax I use a mild detergent or highly diluted Industrial Degreaser.
4. I use a nylon scrub bush for cleaning floors during polishing.
5. Generic scotch brite type pads.
6. Synthetic Diamond Stones Fine and Course for debur and polish.
7. Generic cutting file for tale and tip detuning.
8. Swix comp edge tool for edge sharpening. this is one tool I recommend getting from the shop unless you are a master at using generic file guides.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just use a $3 nylon brush that was the stiffest at the local hardware shop. Does the trick.

Heard conflicting reports about kerosene as a cheap substitute for base cleaner.
futurefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
2. Cleaner. I use Brake Cleaner to de-wax. Spray on, wipe immediately.
seems like a very very very very very bad idea. i atleast hope you are using the non-chlorinated stuff.

FYI that stuff is horrible on anything plastic or plastic based.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was just in the hardware store(home depot) checking out if I could pick up a brush to polish and some scotch brite pads to finish. If i just grad the stiffest nylon brush with the shirtest bristles will I be ok? No nylon brush will be too stiff and damage my board will it? They had a nice one shaped like an iron with a handle so I might get that.

Also, are the scotch brite heavy duty scour pads too harsh to finish the polishing step? multi purpose scour more suitable?
Swiftmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just get a green scotchbrite pad lol your over thinking it..you can get a giant package of like 12 at the dollar tree.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

haha alright ill go there then. i only asked because at home depot and lowes where i was looking for a brush the only scotch brite pads they had were the heavy duty ones with a bunch of cautions on the back on what not to use them on.
Swiftmac is offline   Reply With Quote