A big (ex) skier making the switch - Which board would you go with? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grizz77

Default A big (ex) skier making the switch - Which board would you go with?

I am a 31 yr old 6'5" 240lbs. guy (size 13 boots) looking to make the switch from two planks to one. I'm a solid intermediate skier capable of skiing easy blacks & blues in the mountains of Washington State (Crystal Mtn, Alpental, White Pass). I'm tired of wearing vice-grips, errr... I mean ski boots on my feet, the snowboarders just look like they're having more fun than I am, so I'm making the switch. I don't plan on setting foot / board on the park. Just groomers & some backcountry once I get good enough. I've never boarded before, but I feel comfortable that I will be able to catch on without any issues, and I do plan on taking a lesson or two. With all that said, after doing a fair amount of online research, I have narrowed it to a few recommended boards for big guys.

1. Lib Tech Skunk Ape
2. Nitro Gunslinger Magnum
3. Arbor Roundhouse
4. Ride Yukon
5. K2 Zeppelin Wide
6. Burton Custom Wide

Could anyone recommend any specific one of these (or maybe something else) for a person of my size. Any other recommendations for a boarding noob regarding equipment or making the transition from skiing to boarding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Of those i know the Skunk Ape, and Ride Yukon are generally talked about quite kindly on this and other forums.
You may also want to add the Never Summer Legacy-R to your list, its a good wide board that has a good amount of stiffness and NS makes the most durable boards on the market with the best warranty, so your 400-500 dollar purchase wont fall apart after a season or two like some can during hard riding.

I am not good at sizing boards that far from my own size(tiny compared to you) but if i had to guess mid to high 160's if you never plan on park runs...someone else can chime in though if thats wrong.

Only other suggestion i can make is buy the best/most comfortable boots you can afford. Much as you know being a skier, bad or uncomfortable boots can make your day miserable no matter how awesome your board/ski's are. Snowboard boots even more so i would assume, because i dont know if ski boots can loosen from run to run like some cheaper snowboard boots can.
A good fitting snowboard boot should feel like shoving your foot in a pillow.

Last edited by arsenic0; 01-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

umm.. u got it down to some pretty good choices man. I think any of those would be great. if it was me I would go with the burton just because it all around a good board but because your just starting to board maybe something alittle stiffer just because it will be alittle easier to learn on it but that's just me. Also I suggest getting like a butt cushion or some sort of padding beacuse even though you skied your still going to fall and when fall hard haha.
sgauto08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

stay away from the burton while they make great clothing and decent bidnings their boards leave something to be desired. i would go the skunk ape lib is a great company and as mention NS (never summer) is also very reputable. its a common misconception to buy a burton when beginning this sport just because they are a huge name. while they are decent boards i would only buy on as a rock board there are way better companies out there and from your research you found pretty much all of them.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
DennisK

I disagree burton makes very decent boards. Just stay away from the lower end ones. The Custom wide is an excellent choice, I've ridden the custom and been pretty spoiled by it.

Check out the Rome Anthem which is similiar to the custom and zeppelin, but a bit more flexy... better for beginners.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

while i agree with this i also disagree. if OP was choosing between the burton and say a 5150 or lamar i would say get the burton but of the choices he is considering the burton is on the low end.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grizz77

I talked to a dude in a local board shop this evening, and he said that the custom wide might be a bit stiff, and could slow learning progression for the beginner a bit. Same story for the Yukon and Arbor Roundhouse. If I could just pick without considering any of that, I would probably go w/ the Arbor because it looks badass. Does anyone have any feelings regarding which boards might be too stiff / advanced for the beginner. I want to get as good of a ride as could be recommended for a new boarder.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher View Post
stay away from the burton while they make great clothing and decent bidnings their boards leave something to be desired. i would go the skunk ape lib is a great company and as mention NS (never summer) is also very reputable. its a common misconception to buy a burton when beginning this sport just because they are a huge name. while they are decent boards i would only buy on as a rock board there are way better companies out there and from your research you found pretty much all of them.
i disagree as well, burton makes good stuff and bad stuff. the custom would be solid, but i would probably get a never summer if i were you. big boys put more wear and tear on a board and neversummer makes the most durable/highperformance out there..

i can say as far as learning goes, i would not let the flex of the board stop me from getting the board i want just because its my first board. i may be completely wrong but i learned not too long ago and while stiffer flex would have made it more difficult it would not havemade it that much harder or that much less enjoyable and honestly after 2-3 days you will be set to be hitting at very least all blues..

Last edited by jmacphee9; 01-22-2009 at 01:27 AM.
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grizz77

"Only other suggestion i can make is buy the best/most comfortable boots you can afford. Much as you know being a skier, bad or uncomfortable boots can make your day miserable no matter how awesome your board/ski's are. Snowboard boots even more so i would assume, because i dont know if ski boots can loosen from run to run like some cheaper snowboard boots can.
A good fitting snowboard boot should feel like shoving your foot in a pillow"

Thanks for the tip. I defintiely won't skimp on the boots. I understand completely that the boot is the only link between foot & binding/board. I've had waayyy too many crappy experiences in iron maiden-like ski boots. That's why I'm swapping skis for board.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Seriously take a look and see if you can find a local retailer with a Legacy-R..
If you cant just call or email Never Summer im sure they can tell you the closest shop thats authorized to sell their boards.
Its one of the more popular wide boards this year. And as the previous poster said, you shouldnt have to worry about stiffness too much.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote