Big foot needs help with new board selection - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big foot needs help with new board selection

Just started boarding this year. Picked up a used k2 viper 158, wide with k2 bindings and ride orion boots. Set up works nice been out 6 times this year and advancing like crazy. I want to piece together a new Board / binding and boot for next season and want some advice. Im interested in a forum kitchensink board 160.5. Its reg width and wondeing if size 13 boot will fit ok. Ive been riding +12-12 and am going to try +15-15 this weekend just to feel the differance. Also iim open to other boards that will suit me. Im 6'4", 195 pounds, size 13 boots. Do i need a wide board or can i ride reg width?
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
Just started boarding this year. Picked up a used k2 viper 158, wide with k2 bindings and ride orion boots. Set up works nice been out 6 times this year and advancing like crazy. I want to piece together a new Board / binding and boot for next season and want some advice. Im interested in a forum kitchensink board 160.5. Its reg width and wondeing if size 13 boot will fit ok. Ive been riding +12-12 and am going to try +15-15 this weekend just to feel the differance. Also iim open to other boards that will suit me. Im 6'4", 195 pounds, size 13 boots. Do i need a wide board or can i ride reg width?
Those are fine angles but sadly pretty low for a 13 boot on a reg. width board, and changing your stance for a board is a bad idea. A basic measuring tool you can use is starting at 11 you need to start watching angles, by 12 you need a super aggressive angle and to hope it works, or a wide board. By 13 you either need a very large board and super aggressive angles, but really a wide board is your best bet. You'll hear negatives about wide boards but if you actually have a big foot those negatives are no longer true. For your foot go with a wide and you'll love the performance. Boards are designed for where your foot sits over it, us smaller guys (size 9 here) will find wide boards unbearable, but a 156 wide for you will ride similar to a 156 regular for me. we'll both get about the same performance so don't let that bother you, just a tiny bit of weight that you will barely notice if at all.
lab49232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab49232 View Post
Those are fine angles but sadly pretty low for a 13 boot on a reg. width board, and changing your stance for a board is a bad idea. A basic measuring tool you can use is starting at 11 you need to start watching angles, by 12 you need a super aggressive angle and to hope it works, or a wide board. By 13 you either need a very large board and super aggressive angles, but really a wide board is your best bet. You'll hear negatives about wide boards but if you actually have a big foot those negatives are no longer true. For your foot go with a wide and you'll love the performance. Boards are designed for where your foot sits over it, us smaller guys (size 9 here) will find wide boards unbearable, but a 156 wide for you will ride similar to a 156 regular for me. we'll both get about the same performance so don't let that bother you, just a tiny bit of weight that you will barely notice if at all.
I second that! You need a wide board, overhang is the worst! Trust me I know.
//bigfoot (size 15)
ASwedishViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Another Bigfoot here. (Size 13) a wide is definitely in your future. At your weight you would be fine on a 163-158 wide in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Echelon's been toying around with the idea of an Ultra-wide for a while. Something for the 11.5-13.5 guys, but not super long. Our Killbox 152 fits the bill well for up to ~11.5, but if there's enough bigfoot advocacy out there I might move the "bigfoot" back onto Eric's to-do list after the Tradeshow season...

Don.
EchelonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

I ride a size 13 Burton Ambush. Started with a 162W Burton Deuce. Really liked it but mid-level board. After a few seasons upgraded to a Lib-Tech T.Rice Pro 157. At 6'4" 195lbs, my personal preference was to a shorter board, I felt like the 162 was just too long and cumbersome. The T.Rice's are a MW board so there is some extra space. I ride +12/-9 with no issues. Don't do any hard euro carving but have never experienced any toe drag.

This year I won a 157 Jamie Lynn Phoenix in a contest, which is not a MW but regular width. Took it out one day, still +12/-9, and didn't ride it super aggressive as I was with my girlfriend who is just learning. Didn't experience any bad drag or anything but again I wasn't carving very hard. I plan to take it out a few more times and out west in March so we'll see how it stacks up then.

I was talking to another big footed rider and he had the same experience as me, started with a W, went to MW, and now rides regular. Though he may only be an 11.5 or 12.

So after that rambling, I think you'l be fine on a Wide, which is the safest bet anyway. However if you're at the mountain and they're doing demos, demo a MW or regular if you can. Stance angles and width can affect overhang also as previously mentioned. Obviously the higher your angles the more space you have to work with on your board and less overhang. But as also stated once you find your comfortable stance you don't really want to change it around just to fit the board.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm 6'2" 225 with size 13 boots and my Rossi Angus is 162 mw and it seems to be the perfect width for me. I free ride all the time and I can carve hard with no heel or too drag. My bindings are set to +12/-9.
GregB100 is offline   Reply With Quote