Fat guy & Rossignol Krypto Magtek - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin137 View Post
I know it makes a difference, but for how us old people ride, never really gonna notice it in the same way i don't think...

Have fun, stay safe and just enjoy...
"....How Us Old people Ride!" LOL! That's very well put. I Didn't think to consider the length issue like that. I think You are right tho! Until such time as I maybe get out west and into some really deep shit? Or unless I eventually get past my, (...starting to seem a bit pathological by now.) fear of getting Air? On the groomers & shin deep resort poo, It probably doesn't matter too much if my boards are on the short side.

The one area I think there's an exception, is flat out speed n bombing. If you're into that? Longer will definitely be more noticeably stable especially for us "sides O' beef!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin137 View Post
The weight thing is something different, and as you find yourself more active this will, or should change, i always put on weight in the summer as i am a lazy sod, so end up 260-270lbs, and i always finish the season at least 50lbs lighter, so i take little notice of the weight and i do actually ride a board as small as 153 at times...
.....wish I could figure out how to do that!! I drop a few during the season, but I find after I've spent all day on the slope, in cold and riding first to last chair? I'm freakin' RAVENOUS!! I usually end up eating a lot when Im done for the day.

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 01-19-2014 at 11:35 AM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Swaity, I had a couple major back surgeries too and learned to ride afterwards. It was probably the hardest physical challenge of my life but so worth it. I could barely even reach my feet sitting on my ass in the snow, had to hold my breath to get bound in even standing up. I found that doing squats helps with every part of snowboarding. To boil it down, keep at it no matter how hard it is. My back feels much better after snowboarding but I do need some Aleve during the day when I go because the muscles aren't used to that kind of work.

I hope the best for you.
Okierider66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

keep riding man!

I'm a big buy myself. Im 6 feet about 240lbs. I ride a 159 capita TFA. I love the board. it doesn't wash out at all, and I can rip it as fast as I want.
dubstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks for all! I appreciate all the well wishes and advice. Great community!
swaity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Good post, I JUST bought last year's 2013 Rossignol Krypto Magtek, after mining the internet for seemingly forever......my wife was getting a bit irritated at me hyper-analysing it! Ha ha, too funny! I got a screamin' deal too ($282 to my door!). I've been on a 162cm Burton Malolo (wide tip, tapered back, 100% camber ol' style) since 2006, and have had the itch for something with new board shape tech. I'm not quite as 'fat', hovering at 205, but I was getting a bit tired of dragging my toes and heels when really cranked over on my Malolo - I'm pretty excited about getting a 'mid-wide' that will nicely accomodate my 11 boots.

I've had my fair share of lower back issues (thinning disc gives me 'issues' from time to time), and I deliberately got Flow bindings so I don't have to do the sit/stoop thing....Yeah, I've heard all the neg's about Flows, but they work for me, and the ease of getting in/out is even better than the somewhat temperamental K2's (my wife has those, and they give her fits)

Sure, the 2013 is heinously ugly in photos (I'm sure it looks better in person) - at least the graphics will surely discourage thefts of opportunity!

Last edited by jokermtb; 01-27-2014 at 04:38 PM.
jokermtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
Good post, I JUST bought last year's 2013 Rossignol Krypto Magtek, after mining the internet for seemingly forever......my wife was getting a bit irritated at me hyper-analysing it! Ha ha, too funny! I got a screamin' deal too ($282 to my door!). I've been on a 162cm Burton Malolo (wide tip, tapered back, 100% camber ol' style) since 2006, and have had the itch for something with new board shape tech. I'm not quite as 'fat', hovering at 205, but I was getting a bit tired of dragging my toes and heels when really cranked over on my Malolo - I'm pretty excited about getting a 'mid-wide' that will nicely accomodate my 11 boots.

I've had my fair share of lower back issues (thinning disc gives me 'issues' from time to time), and I deliberately got Flow bindings so I don't have to do the sit/stoop thing....Yeah, I've heard all the neg's about Flows, but they work for me, and the ease of getting in/out is even better than the somewhat temperamental K2's (my wife has those, and they give her fits)

Sure, the 2013 is heinously ugly in photos (I'm sure it looks better in person) - at least the graphics will surely discourage thefts of opportunity!

Bought 164MW Krypto is does look better in person, you will love the Krypto its stable and fast. Enjoy
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

.....wish I could figure out how to do that!! I drop a few during the season, but I find after I've spent all day on the slope, in cold and riding first to last chair? I'm freakin' RAVENOUS!! I usually end up eating a lot when Im done for the day.[/QUOTE]

Great book for us fat farts… Why We Get FAT By Gary Taubes
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

I actually got my tailor to mod my 17 year old burton bibs out a bit so I can breathe while hyperventilating in tree wells....
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #29 (permalink)

Just rode my new 164 wide krypto yesterday. I love the board. Super stiff and not very forgiving like my k2 viper i was riding but you can just rip down the hill, hit icey parts and just keep going faster and faster nothing stops you it just grips onto the hill.
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #30 (permalink)

I'm so incredibly looking forward to riding a board that actually has some serious edge grip and speed capability, while still serving up some float and moves in the trees.....my old Burton was not exactly confidence inspiring when letting er rip on the groomers (but nice in the deep trees), but I've been at this snowboarding thing for a while (1997), and learned to compensate for all that....Seems like technology has finally taken another leap forward on this board. It'll be nice to lay into a carve, without having my kickstand ding the tarmac....