Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Fat guy & Rossignol Krypto Magtek (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/120313-fat-guy-rossignol-krypto-magtek.html)

swaity 01-17-2014 10:05 AM

Fat guy & Rossignol Krypto Magtek

Hi everyone! I just joined today, and I just bought my first snowboard last night! I can't wait to hit the hills! I used to ride a lot when I was younger but really injured my back, even back then I was never anything above amateur and used rented equipment. Four years ago I had major back surgery. I have a handful of bolts in my back, a disc removed, titanium disk inserted. Basically half cyborg. In that time of bed rest and not being able to do much activity though my weight skyrocketed.

Now that its been 4 years since surgery I feel ready to start trying activities again. But I'm super heavy and super out of shape. I bought a 164W Rossignol Krypto Magtek last night on the recommendation of the board shop person for a person my size / abilities. He said it was good for a heavy guy, stable, easy to master. Good for amateur but a bit of room to grow into.

I'm curious what the riders here think? The guy seemed super knowledgeable and great to deal with, but right on the board it says the max weight is 190 lbs. Which i'm significantly over, like 100 lbs over! The shop guy said they rate them low and not to worry.

I didn't buy bindings yet either. I'm still searching for what would work for a guy like me. Because my back has little flexibility and I have a lot of stomach in front of me I find the traditional bindings overwhelming (pathetic maybe, but this is how my body is right now.). Would the flow or k2 cinch stuff be suitable for a heavy guy?

A bit about me as a rider:
Ride Type: Small hill we have in city for day to day practicing, but the mountain is where I like to be. I'm not fancy, I just like getting from the top to the bottom at this point. But excited to grow the abilities.
Height: 6'3 / 190cm
Weight: 290 lbs / 131 kg
Shoes: Size 12

Thanks all!

seriouscat 01-17-2014 10:09 AM

Do you have large feet? That is the wide version of the board. Kryptos is actually an intermediate to advanced free ride board, but maybe at your weight you'd able to pressure it like a smaller board.

swaity 01-17-2014 10:21 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Woops, forgot shoe size! I'm a size 12 shoe.

Maybe I have too much board for me to start!

ksup3erb 01-17-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaity (Post 1445161)
Thanks for the reply!

You already bought it, so you might as well ride it.

One can easily strap in while standing up, whether with rear entry (flows) or with straps. With flows you'll still need to bend over to lock in the highback. Maybe 10 seconds faster than straps.

swaity 01-17-2014 10:51 AM

True. The board is still in its plastic wrap though. The guy said unless I open it I can return it.

Ok. So maybe I'm just worrying too much about the issue of bindings, maybe there is no issue. I just see myself having problems sitting on snow, bending over to do the bindings and getting back up. Problem is, not many things are "easy" for me. My back just doesn't move like other peoples, I have spina bifida occulta that was aggravated by a bad car accident.

Of course the thought that comes to mind is why even try? I'm tired of accepting limitations. I'm not going to do it anymore, I loved snowboard so I'm going to snowboard. I'm just trying to make it as easy for my body as I can to maximize enjoyment.

Thanks all!

ksup3erb 01-17-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaity (Post 1445161)
Thanks for the reply!

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaity (Post 1445233)
True. The board is still in its plastic wrap though. The guy said unless I open it I can return it.

Ok. So maybe I'm just worrying too much about the issue of bindings, maybe there is no issue. I just see myself having problems sitting on snow, bending over to do the bindings and getting back up. Problem is, not many things are "easy" for me. My back just doesn't move like other peoples, I have spina bifida occulta that was aggravated by a bad car accident.

Of course the thought that comes to mind is why even try? I'm tired of accepting limitations. I'm not going to do it anymore, I loved snowboard so I'm going to snowboard. I'm just trying to make it as easy for my body as I can to maximize enjoyment.

Thanks all!

By all means you should keep at it. I applaud your attitude despite your injury.

All I meant is that rear-entry isn't that much easier than straps. Either way, if you get into your bindings standing up (which is doable and sounds like a necessity for you), you'll still have to either squat or bend over to secure the bindings to your boots. At least with Flows you don't have to sit on the snow.

Flow's active strap technology ("NASTY") is supposed to make things even faster. Take a look at the NX2 series.

trapper 01-17-2014 11:23 AM

FWIW, I'm 6'5" 260 and rode a soft 164w Burton Bullet for my two seasons without too much of a problem. It would wash out a bit when I started riding faster but it was fine. That board is much softer than the 164 you bought, so I'm guessing you'll be fine. If you start going too long you might have issues controlling the board as a novice rider, but hard to say for sure. I'm now on a stiffer free ride board that's a 166w and don't see myself going bigger anytime soon. It's perfect for me and the places/conditions I ride.

swaity 01-17-2014 11:25 AM

Thanks ksup3erb!

I really appreciate the input and advise. I'm going to head to the shop at lunch and check some out. I'd love to hit the hills tomorrow.

:yahoo:

It's nice to know too that the board I have would carry me a long way as my skill level increases. Assuming it doesn't kill me first. :D

Thanks!!

swaity 01-17-2014 11:30 AM

Thanks Trapper! Its good to feel a bit more confident that my fat butt isn't just going to snap this thing like a twig. Or step off the lift and poof I'm waist deep in snow. haha

I'm hoping as I get going on this, and assuming it isn't too much for my back, the more I do the more motivated I'd be to lose some of the weight and just make this easier overall for me. This is pretty exciting for me, I've done some canoing since surgery but this will be the first active sport since. It's been so long and at times I didn't think i'd ever get back out there living life!

GregB100 01-17-2014 12:00 PM

Hi,
I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs and I ride a Rossi Angus in 162 mid wide and it has been great for me.
I think you'll be fine on that board. My bindings are Forum Republics and they work really well with my board and boots. They are stiff enough but still flex some and very comfortable. The toe cap strap really locks my big feet to my board.

I also wear size 12 shoes most of the time but went with size 13's on my boots. I just bought K2 Maysis boots last year and they are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. The double BOA system is great and allows for infinite adjustment throughout a full day of riding.

My advice on the boots is to try on at least 5-6 pairs to get a feel for how stiff you want and how well they fit. Also, don't look at price on boots just try them on and pick the ones that fit best. If your boots don't fit right you won't enjoy your time on the snow, especially for bigger guys, since we're carrying more weight. It was funny, of the six pairs I tried on, the ones I bought were middle of the price change but fit me best. Only spent $215 and couldn't be more comfortable.

I hope this helps and Good luck finding the rest of your gear!