women's vs men's boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Buddha

Default women's vs men's boards

So, what is the difference beyond the obvious one that men's boards tend to be larger because men tend to be larger?

I'm a larger than average woman (5'8"; 165) looking for my first board. Am interested in the Burton Lux but it's a women's board and I wonder if it's too lightweight for me. Should I be looking at men's board too?

Thx,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sierracrew

There are two main differences between men's and women's snowboards... the waist width is narrower on a women's board and women's boards are generally softer in flex when compared to similar men's models. You can ride a men's board, but a lot depends on your boot size. If you have an average women's size foot, you might find most men's boards difficult to control- especially if you are not very experienced (i am not sure if you are or not). You might want to consider sticking with a stiffer flexing women's board... I think this will optimize your performance. Although, if you feel up to it, there are plenty of women who rip on men's boards. Hope that helps.

Sierra Crew
Sierrasnowboard.com
Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A+ for the best answer to this question yet. I always recommend that people use gender-specific gear, but it isn't necessary if you are dead set on riding something else. Keep in mind that it may be uncomfortable to ride mens gear as a woman. I've yet to meet a dude who wants to ride a pink board, so I have no idea how it works the other way around.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
kMc

yea im 5'9" and i wanted a guys board but then decided it was a bad idea because of the waist width and just the fact that they are heavier and more stiff. a womens board would definately not be too lightweight for you.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Being a big girl, she should have no problem on a men's board in the future. However, for a first board and a beginner skill level, an appropriately sized women's board is probably a better idea because of the more forgiving flex and will be easier to turn and lighter.

Official Gear List: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/blo...gear-list.html
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote