Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Salomon Villain vs Skate Banana (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/120537-salomon-villain-vs-skate-banana.html)

logocss 01-17-2014 07:42 PM

Salomon Villain vs Skate Banana

So I'm stuck in between two boards for this season the Salomon Villain vs Lib SB. The Villain just won a bunch of awards including Good Wood from TW but I'm always reading how the SB is a classic rocker stick. Ill ride 158 - 59 wide 180 6'4". I ride east coast PA, VT as well as Colorado during winter.

What are your opinions on these decks?

ridinbend 01-17-2014 08:10 PM

97 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by logocss (Post 1447457)
So I'm stuck in between two boards for this season the Salomon Villain vs Lib SB. The Villain just won a bunch of awards including Good Wood from TW but I'm always reading how the SB is a classic rocker stick. Ill ride 158 - 59 wide 180 6'4". I ride east coast PA, VT as well as Colorado during winter.

What are your opinions on these decks?

I was going to say villain until you said your on the east coast where you'll enjoy the magne traction. However if you ride already without it and are comfortable in all conditions then get the villain.

logocss 01-17-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridinbend (Post 1447553)
I was going to say villain until you said your on the east coast where you'll enjoy the magne traction. However if you ride already without it and are comfortable in all conditions then get the villain.

Right on, The Villain looks freakin' sweet for the '14 lineup. I'm looking for something I can charge vail with. I know the Villain has a nice base, and is the SB too rocker/soft? Anyone know where the boards made if it's not the US?

Riley212 01-17-2014 08:37 PM

i ride a villain, 5'10" 180 lbs on a 155cm . It rides everywhere but deep snow really well, holds an edge adequately on ice. Lots of fun pop, i did a review of it in the general snowboards review section.

If you are looking for a park deck that rides the rest of the mountain well its one of the better choices. The skate banana is a good board too and has better float in fresh snow but the pop on the villain just make it more fun IMO.

logocss 01-17-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley212 (Post 1447609)
i ride a villain, 5'10" 180 lbs on a 155cm . It rides everywhere but deep snow really well, holds an edge adequately on ice. Lots of fun pop, i did a review of it in the general snowboards review section.

If you are looking for a park deck that rides the rest of the mountain well its one of the better choices. The skate banana is a good board too and has better float in fresh snow but the pop on the villain just make it more fun IMO.

@ 158 wide do you think the softness of the Villain play a factor with jumps or drops

logocss 01-17-2014 09:10 PM

Only thing Salomon i've ever ridden was a pair of their boots when I was like 14. How are they as a brand? USA? Foreign? Owned by nike lol? Whats the scoop on the Salomon lineup as in build quality, materials, etc...?

TorpedoVegas 01-17-2014 09:24 PM

I have a Villain and love it, my other main board right now is a Lib TRS. The Villain feels almost like a camber board to me, but more forgiving..cuts an edge like a knife. I've found it great in powder, maybe not super deep days, but fun when there's a fresh 10cm or so.

speedjason 01-17-2014 11:04 PM

Salomon builds pretty good stuff. Although made in China but the quality of my Villain is top notch (should be since it expensive).
I would say the Villain is very easy board to ride. its camber between feet and rocker tip and tail. its rather stiff in between feet and soft tip an tail. which makes this board poppy yet buttery.

ridinbend 01-17-2014 11:47 PM

97 Attachment(s)
Or if you want a more all mountain get the assassin. I would personally go that way over the villain if I had a choice.

Riley212 01-17-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logocss (Post 1447633)
@ 158 wide do you think the softness of the Villain play a factor with jumps or drops

Not really for big jumps with groomed landings. But riding out a big drop with a mediocre landing definitely. Its just not gonna bust through bumps and chunder like a stiffer board. I think its unfair to expect that from a board like this.