Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   First board! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/120705-first-board.html)

Bertieman 01-18-2014 07:38 PM

First board!

First off, shout out to everyone on this forum! First post here, joined in search of more snowboarding knowledge :thumbsup:

This is my first season getting heavy into snowboarding. I am size 12 boot, 21 years, 165 lbs, 5"9, regular stance. I tried a 150 cm k2 board rental, along with a 154 cm burton rental (the k2 definitely had more control). After a few days snowboarding I decided to stick with it and buy my first board. I ended up with a 2014 burton clash 151cm and burton mission bindings.

One shop suggested I go with a wide board at least 155 cm. But the shop I got this from suggested the 151cm due to me being a beginner. I have been on a few blues already with no issues, but have been sticking to more greens. The board is forgiving and I like it, but is this a realistic size for my stats? I feel 100% comfortable with it, so that's what matters. Also, my guess would be this is an ideal board size for park obstacles, which I want to get into. If this is not an ideal board for blues/harder blues, which is a good recommendation?

I'm trying to get a better grasp on how people justify a, to-the-T board fit. Thank you for reading!

Jason 01-18-2014 08:45 PM

Take a picture of your boots in your bindings on your board. You'll be fine on most terrain as long as it's not icy. I have a clash and have no problem riding at ~40mph but plan on upgrading to a lib tech hot knife when the end of the season sales start.

Edit: A 151 does seem a little small. I'll wait for others to comment.

Bertieman 01-18-2014 09:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1449473)
Take a picture of your boots in your bindings on your board. You'll be fine on most terrain as long as it's not icy. I have a clash and have no problem riding at ~40mph but plan on upgrading to a lib tech hot knife when the end of the season sales start.

Edit: A 151 does seem a little small. I'll wait for others to comment.

Thanks for the response.

I went to a mountain last week with my beginner friend, and they gave him a 145 cm board. He is about 5'9 and 155-160lbs (almost my exact stats other than boot size).

jspangs 01-18-2014 09:17 PM

Sweet board purchase. I am also brand new to snowboarding. Im a touch bigger 6' 175 size 12 boots. I went with a K2 brigade 159w. I'm glad I went with the wide but wished I would have gone with a 155-157ish. Good luck to you.

ICary 01-18-2014 09:22 PM

Your toe strap should go over your toe box...

Also a directional board, riding switch is going to be a little weird. Nothing major unless you plan on lapping the park.

Bertieman 01-21-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICary (Post 1449577)
Also a directional board, riding switch is going to be a little weird. Nothing major unless you plan on lapping the park.

Ah, see I wish i knew boards were shaped different before purchasing. Now I suppose a directional board would never be used as a park board? But it is all-mountain, so what qualifies under that? I also wonder how much a wide board would be for me being size 12?